Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
ZuLu said:
Yep I ordered mine last week - $350. Turned off my DRL's, seat belt chime, activated the windows so I can roll them up and down with my keyless remote.

I justified the purchase since my sister owns a VW Jetta and I have a few other buddies with VW/Audi's so I know I can get some beers out of them when they need some diagnostic work done. >:D

Love the fact I don't have to waste a trip to the dealership and spend $80/hour to have them tell me what is wrong or might not be wrong with my car. This software will pay for it's self if you plan to hold onto the car longer than the warranty.

What is the advantage of the $350 version over the $250 version? Tony mentioned that he got the $250 Micro-Can version and it works great...?

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah man i got the Micro-CAN. its only good for the VW's on the MKV platform, its not backwards compatable. thats pretty much the only differance that i saw.

~Tony

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah the software was pretty simple. now if you get the USB connection, youll have to follow som special instructions to find the driver for it, here are instructions for that:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/usb-config.html

..also when you uy an interface directly form the Ross-Tech web site, the software is auto activated. all you have to do is downlaod the software, hook everything up and run a test. after this, the full version of the program is unlocked and your ready to rock. all the insructions are on the Ross-Tech web site but here is the link for testing:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.html#test its para 4.1

Hope this helps,

~Tony

P.S. ive been messing around with this program since ive owned it ( about 2 weeks), and WOW!!!! there is alot of things that you can change a do. let me know if you have any questions about things, and hopefully i can help anyone out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
its definately worth it to me. it will save you a A$$ load if you have some check engine light or some other engine electrical, or other electrical problem. You wont have to go to the dealership and spend, who knows how much, just for them to tell you that your o2 sensor or something stupic like that is bad.

with this you can look up the problem, and if you can, change the part yourself. Plus you can change alot of fatory settings that the dealership wont.

mine, i turned off the DRL's, windows/sunroof open and close with remote, no seat belt chime, fog lights and inside lights stay/come on with high beams. There is a bunch more little stuff you can do too. way to much to list. plus if you are getting the Euro light switch ( mine will be here by next week) with the rear fog lights from the R32, you will need a VagCom to activate them.

So i think its very worth it.

~Tony

·
Registered
40 Posts
two questsions:
1)does it void the warranty when you do this stuff? it seems like you're uploading the new software to the car and then modifying the settings. in the case i might ever be high enough to go to the dealer for anything, will they be able to:
1)figure out i upgraded the software and
2)run their check-ups with this new software?

2)can this allow you to enable your bluetooth button on the steering wheel? now that would be sweet!! i'd purchase it for sure then! (and if anyone has does this, how is the sound quality?)

;D

Well I guess I have the answers to some of my questions: still don't know about the warranty, but from the website, it seems like you're not really uploading any software to the car, you're just modifying specific bits in the existing software.
As for the bluetooth, I've heard several stories. The one on this forum seems to be that it is not wired so it will never work. Another is that it is there, but needs to be enabled. The story that my dealer told me is that the bluetooth is there, but it only works in Germany. Not sure which one is true, but while searching through the bits on the vagcom website, I didn't find any bits that would enable/disable the bluetooth feature.... so i'm not sure what to make of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This doent void any warranty. your not actuaaly downloading any software into the car. All your doing is changin the factory settings thats it.

and no you cant turn the bluetooth on. you need some special phone adapter unit or something. ill look the article i was reading about it and get back to ya.

~Tony

·
Registered
40 Posts
SickDragons said:
and no you cant turn the bluetooth on. you need some special phone adapter unit or something. ill look the article i was reading about it and get back to ya.
~Tony
so maybe my dealer was right, it IS there, but simply won't work in the US....

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah there is a unit you can get to make it work. ive looked all weekend and cant find that freakin article that had the info aboutt he phone hook-up in it.

ill keep searchin, but it might be a min, now that im back at work.

~Tony

·
Registered
40 Posts
SickDragons said:
yeah there is a unit you can get to make it work. ive looked all weekend and cant find that freakin article that had the info aboutt he phone hook-up in it.

ill keep searchin, but it might be a min, now that im back at work.

~Tony
please do.......i'd be very interested in getting that sucker working! 8)
if you remember how you found it, maybe what keywords you used, i can look on this end...let me know!

·
Registered
40 Posts
jgo said:
Stock remote. Hold the unlock button until the windows are down. Hold the lock button until the windows are up. If the sunroof is open it will close after the windows go up. You cannot open the sunroof with the remote. Same operations as using the key in he doorlock.
Actually on the Ross-Tech website, it says there is an option to open the sunroof with the remote:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Golf5.html

[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.]
[Long Coding - 07]
[Long Coding Helper]
Click on each of the Byte numbers in step 3) and you'll see the selectable options below.
Uncheck the box for "Comfort function power windows/sunroof via remote control inactive"
Check the box for "Comfort opening power windows via remote control active"
Check the box for "Comfort closing power windows via remote control active"
Check the box for "opening sunroof via remote control active"
[Transfer Coding]
[Do It!]

Correct me if i'm wrong...

·
Registered
274 Posts
You're wrong....But that IS what is says. Actually, it will let you close it, but it won't open. Been there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well, that sucks!

jgo............ do you have any idea what this bit is used for?

Byte 08 Bit 1 Remote control with "Terminal 15 ON" inactive

·
Registered
274 Posts
No, I really don't but I am assuming that it locks the remote functions out while the key is in the "On" position. It would not be good to enable the security system while you are driving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
question about vagcom programming - on the Ross-Tech website, I noticed that each option has two entries. For instance, to activate the closing/opening of windows via the remote control, there are two separate Bytes that can do it. Under Comfort System (Select 46) Byte 05 Bit 2 opens the windows via the remote and then later down that page, Byte 07 Bit 2 does the same thing.
Why are there two different bytes for the same operation? Do I need to set both? ???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Question for all you VagCom experts...
Bought the Software Package for $390 from Ross-Tech.. Am I correct that the ONLY things I can modify are as follows:

1) Remove DRL'S
2) Remove Seat Belt Chime
3) Operating Windows from Key-Fob
4) Changing Honk?Flash Behavior

I was looking for a lot of stuff to be able to modify!! I would love to mute the Radio ( and be able to un-mute ) when the low fuel lite comes on so when I am blasting by the Honda's and Mazda's with the radio blaring I will know I am low on fuel.
Any ideas? Suggestions? ;)

41 - 60 of 177 Posts