Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

21 - 40 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Its not hard at all to do if you know what your doing. it can take a min to do if you know what your doing if not it may take a while

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Any generous VagCom owners in the NC/SC area? Looking to do the window roll down and DRL mods.. name your brew.......

·
Registered
952 Posts
06TRMKV said:
How does that work with rolling your windows down with your remote, Do you have a different remote for your car then or still the stock one? And can you control the sunroof with that too?
With the vagcom, you can enable your factory remote to role up and down the windows and close the moonroof. The abitlity is already in the car, it just needs to be enabled. Some type of U.S. safety thing is what prevents it from being used here from what I understand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I notice everyone else says that it is 80 bucks an hour to get the diagnostic stuff done, is that just the price where you guys are from bc if it is then you should feel lucky, to get any work done at a vw dealer around me its 160 an hour. That is just rediculous if you ask me thats how i'm gonna justify my purchase of a vagcom.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
$160 an hour is crazy. ::)

Your car shouldn't cost you anything while under warranty. Except your time to drop it off and have it scanned.

I justified vagcom since I could do things the dealer was not willing to do.

·
Registered
556 Posts
All of us in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area should pitch in and buy one VagCom for all of us.

That would be really cool, and if this happens to materialize, I'm in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a an '07 GTI and I can't stand the DRL's. Seems to be an easy fix with the VAG-COM.

Anyone know if I can turn off the tire pressure monitoring system? I'm going need to get snow tires and according to the service guys at my local VW dealer the giant warning of impending death will remain lit on my MFD if the TPMS malfunctions (as it would if I put wheels on the car that don't have the TPMS sensors in them). Or, if I get different tires/wheels WITH the TPMS sensors can I reset the system to a different tire pressure than the one from the factory?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I just suggested to FF a National VagCom location map thingy (official name) kinda like the old map we had on the login page pre-hacker destruction, where you could rep your GTI and state. He's on it, so we may have a solution on its way. Good stuff huh?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bcruzin said:
I just suggested to FF a National VagCom location map thingy (official name) kinda like the old map we had on the login page pre-hacker destruction, where you could rep your GTI and state. He's on it, so we may have a solution on its way. Good stuff huh?
Excellent.

With this one tool, those without Vagcom can mooch all its glory from those nearest their very own homes.

You sir, are brilliant! (+1)

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I've got access to one of those things, and have no use with it. My buddy has everything for every car. He's my race mechanic as well. Just thought I'd put an extra "jab" in.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Own one already but if you don't try getting a hold of one of these people.

locater

Remember if you have a MK5 then you will need a CAN compatible Vagcom.

I just did a guys car on Monday. So it does work and people use it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So i have a hook up at the VW dealership, and he says that he can to the DRL, and the windows with the remote, but he needs a number code for the windows. does anyone know what hes talkin about?

~Tony

·
Registered
274 Posts
SickDragons said:
So i have a jook up at the VW dealership, and he says that he can to the DRL, and the windows with the remote, but he needs a number code for the windows. does anyone know what hes talkin about?

~Tony
VW dealers are running a proprietary software that is supplied to them by VW. The software only allows them to make certain changes. For example, they can turn your DRL on but can't turn them off. Apparently, the software lets them make selections that are approved by VW. They can change the rest of the options if they know the "long code" but the cheap a$$ software that they have won't read it. Or, at least, that is the way that I understand it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jgo said:
SickDragons said:
So i have a jook up at the VW dealership, and he says that he can to the DRL, and the windows with the remote, but he needs a number code for the windows. does anyone know what hes talkin about?

~Tony
VW dealers are running a proprietary software that is supplied to them by VW. The software only allows them to make certain changes. For example, they can turn your DRL on but can't turn them off. Apparently, the software lets them make selections that are approved by VW. They can change the rest of the options if they know the "long code" but the cheap a$$ software that they have won't read it. Or, at least, that is the way that I understand it.
yeah he was asking about some code so that would make sense. Thanks man

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fast Freddie said:
06TRMKV said:
How does that work with rolling your windows down with your remote, Do you have a different remote for your car then or still the stock one? And can you control the sunroof with that too?
With the vagcom, you can enable your factory remote to role up and down the windows and close the moonroof. The abitlity is already in the car, it just needs to be enabled. Some type of U.S. safety thing is what prevents it from being used here from what I understand.
hey man i just ordered one last night and will have it next week. Im in charleston, SC.

I had a friend turn off my DRL's, i also did the window with the remote, and the seat belt charm. I had to get one!! if there is anyone else in the Charleston, SC area ill be glad to help you out when i get it. Might have to give me alittle bit to figure things out, but when i was useing it yeasturday its really simple.

~Tony

·
Registered
41 Posts
I freakin love this thing!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got it in the mail and downloaded all the software and shit, i have to say WOW!!!!!!! there is so many things you can do with this thing. And what makes it all the better is that its so freakin user friendly. Which is a big plus in my book.

If anyone needs help or needs to hook up to one, Im in Charleston,SC . shoot me a PM and i will be glad to help out. One thing though, the interface i bought is only for the MKV setup.

~TOny

·
Registered
41 Posts
i bought the Micro-CAN set up for $250 from Ross-Tech.

its really worth it though. you can do so much with it and along with the datalogging its great. I havent messed around with the datalogging yet but thats my plans for the weekend.

~tony

·
Registered
573 Posts
SickDragons said:
I freakin love this thing!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got it in the mail and downloaded all the software and shit, i have to say WOW!!!!!!! there is so many things you can do with this thing. And what makes it all the better is that its so freakin user friendly. Which is a big plus in my book.

If anyone needs help or needs to hook up to one, Im in Charleston,SC . shoot me a PM and i will be glad to help out. One thing though, the interface i bought is only for the MKV setup.

~TOny
Tony; Did you get the Mini-can for 249? Looking to get one, but not sure if I can get the $249 mini, or need to buy the $349 hex can style.

21 - 40 of 177 Posts