Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For optimal shifting/acceleration, should one shift AT 6500 (the redline point) or in the middle of the Redline. I have DSG, and love the paddle shifting...just wondering your take(s) on this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ive brought it past redline (on accident) and the car did ok. I wont be flirting with thos rpms again though. scared a little pee out of me O0

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For maximum acceleration in a drag race....should I take every gear to the redline before shifting?

·
Registered
220 Posts
you should shift about a nano second before you hit redline (as close as you can get buddy) just realize the lower the gear the more pull so use all you can

where in md are you

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gti07Md said:
For maximum acceleration in a drag race....should I take every gear to the redline before shifting?
I bet the DSG could shift faster on it's own in S mode...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I wondered this too, is it better to shift when you are in the fat part of the torque curve? It seems intuitive to redline (or just before), but isn't torque the maximum push of car?

Here is my understanding of torque:

Car A - 200 hp, 200 ft lb torque
Car B - 200 hp, 150 ft lb torque

Both cars, if identical, will reach the same top speed but the one with more torque will get their faster. Correct?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
I wondered this too, is it better to shift when you are in the fat part of the torque curve? It seems intuitive to redline (or just before), but isn't torque the maximum push of car?

Here is my understanding of torque:

Car A - 200 hp, 200 ft lb torque
Car B - 200 hp, 150 ft lb torque

Both cars, if identical, will reach the same top speed but the one with more torque will get their faster. Correct?
It is better to make torque at high rpm than at low rpm, because you can take advantage of gearing ;D High RPM torque wins races.

Remember wheelspin is the by-product of too much usable torque- so throttle control is everything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dragon is only a little correct.

It all depends on the race. 1/4 mile, low end torque is what you want. thats why american cars are loaded with torque, and can take us on the line any day. on the other hand high end torque will speed you up once you are already going a good pace..

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
TO MUCH INFO NOT ENOUGHT INTERNET TIME LOL I DO NOT LIKE TAKING THE CAR TO RED LINE I WILL SHIFT BEFORE I GET TO RED THAT IS CAUSE I DO NOT LIKE MY CARS SCREAMING AT ME

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
top of the chain gti said:
TO MUCH INFO NOT ENOUGHT INTERNET TIME LOL I DO NOT LIKE TAKING THE CAR TO RED LINE I WILL SHIFT BEFORE I GET TO RED THAT IS CAUSE I DO NOT LIKE MY CARS SCREAMING AT ME
That's why you have a rev limiter ;D

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
If you're racing, you want to get every last bit of rev out of the motor before shifting. That being said, if you bounce off the limiter you lose forward excel, and that is NOT the name of the game!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not Fahre...nheit said:
don't even worry about redlines

next race

just get out of your car and start running for it
hMM that might work if your racing a Honda... but i dont think you'll win many races that way...

·
Registered
8 Posts
etapia said:
Not Fahre...nheit said:
don't even worry about redlines

next race

just get out of your car and start running for it
hMM that might work if your racing a Honda... but i dont think you'll win many races that way...
well you obviously havent tried, but anyways s mode is probably the best choice to make, but that's not as fun as shifting

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
WaZzAp1101 said:
Ya, I flirted with redline a couple times too. The car gets to 7500 rpm so quickly
...i hope yer kidding. its not a honda dont rev it that high unless you want something bad to happen :'(

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
GTfly said:
WaZzAp1101 said:
Ya, I flirted with redline a couple times too. The car gets to 7500 rpm so quickly
...i hope yer kidding. its not a honda dont rev it that high unless you want something bad to happen :'(
Sry, I meant 6500rpm, nd only in first gear O0

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.