Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
10bv01 said:
It definitely makes more sense. Unfortunately, we Americans are stubborn and sometimes make illogical decisions.
we were metric (canada), then the building sector put pressure on and we now have an effed up hybrid............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Is that why we're hybrid?

We use km for distance (miles in the countryside as range roads are usually spaced by miles), km/h for speed, Celsius for temperature, feet and inches for height and most smaller and multi-dimensional measurements (I guess that's where the building sector had their say), pounds for human weight, grams and liters at the grocery store, ounces and pints in restaurants and bars.

The British are kinda weird too. More or less metric except for when it comes to distance and speed. Distances are in miles and fuel is sold by the liter, so I'm not sure if they use miles per gallon, like the U.S., or L/100km, like everyone else when it comes to measuring fuel consumption.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeez, all this weird talk about canada is slowly shedding some light :p

jk. But I bet the US had a lot to do with applying the pressure in order for the Canadians to go hybrid like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Maybe the U.S. put the pressure on the feet, inches and pounds thing but had no complaints about our super high speed limits and thought 30 degrees in the summer is normal for Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
There was a big push in the early 70's to convert the USA to metric. it never made it past the gas pumps. Screw it then, screw it now!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
I think the one area where the US could conform with the rest of the world though is temperature. The Fahrenheit scale is just retarded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jgo said:
There was a big push in the early 70's to convert the USA to metric. it never made it past the gas pumps. Screw it then, screw it now!
Americuh! Fuk Yeah!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Thalo said:
I think the one area where the US could conform with the rest of the world though is temperature. The Fahrenheit scale is just retarded.
Oh, man. Have you found something else to whine about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Thalo said:
I think the one area where the US could conform with the rest of the world though is temperature. The Fahrenheit scale is just retarded.
From freezing to boiling the Celsius scale is divided into 100 increments. The Fahrenheit scale is divided into 180 and therefore is much more precise. If the USA was on the Celsius temperature measurement standard, Al Gore would never have known about global warming and, therefore, would just fade away. One can only invent just so many Internets.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
22350 said:
OK that was funny.....no trace of being a dick either, Al Gore, I mean, Mr. President.....what a waste of skin
Can't disagree there....

Temperature can be measured with decimal points too, JGO.

What's retarded about Fahrenheit is the numbers. What's the boiling point of water? I don't fucking know! It's 100 degrees C. What's the freezing point of water? 32 degrees. I only know that because I spent 3 winters in New England. But why 32???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Thalo said:
22350 said:
OK that was funny.....no trace of being a dick either, Al Gore, I mean, Mr. President.....what a waste of skin
Can't disagree there....

Temperature can be measured with decimal points too, JGO.

What's retarded about Fahrenheit is the numbers. What's the boiling point of water? I don't fucking know! It's 100 degrees C. What's the freezing point of water? 32 degrees. I only know that because I spent 3 winters in New England. But why 32???
Boiling point is 212ºF. You don't fucking know and that's my point in this conversion talk. As we were kids, our main focus was education. Now that we have so many things to address and worry about, we are all resistant to change things that we would all have to learn over again and will provide us with no advantage. The metric system works for you. That's what you learned. I didn't and I am perfectly comfortable with temperature in Fahrenheit and gasoline in gallons. Maybe we would be better off if we used the metric system but converting everything over is very expensive and most of the people in the USA do not want it. Like I said earlier, it was tried and it just gave us (USA) one more thing to disagree over. Personally, I don't give a shit and never did.

Can you imagine an orange GTI Celsius?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top