Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DRLs are the number one thing that bugs the [email protected]#$ outta me. I go to my dealer, at first they say they'll do it for 90 $. Then when the time comes to turn them off they come with an excuse saying "its just not safe to turn it off". For all i care ill be the one in danger by turning them off not them. If any one has had any success in turning them off CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME ON HOW TO COME ABOUT DISABLING MY DRLs. Also does turning them off void my warranty!?!?!?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am no expert on Vagcom, but I think you can turn it off with that software - there are many threads. The thing I can't understand is why the DRL's bother people so much.............?

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I upgraded mine to APR stage 1 I told the guy and he turn them off. Is no such a law that requires you to have the DRL's on. The dealer can turn them off if you really nice or take the car to a local garage and they will turn them off much cheaper then the dealer. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The dealer does not want the liability for turning off the DRLs.

To my knowledge there is no state law (at least here in CA I'm sure) requiring DRLs.

I switched my DRL to the foglamps (cheaper and easier to replace than the HID lamps.)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I set my DRL's to fogs too...I just dont want to get the bill when it comes time to replace that burnt out HID bulb.
I am going to change my fog bulbs to HID color matched white bulbs and see how it looks
I have to find what kind of bulb it is, but I think there is a thread about this already 8)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dragon said:

To my knowledge there is no state law (at least here in CA I'm sure) requiring DRLs.

I switched my DRL to the foglamps (cheaper and easier to replace than the HID lamps.)
You be correct, the law is federal and applies to vehicle manufacturers specifications for new vehicles, not the owners of the vehicle or the operation of the system. There is legislation to make it part of the Ca. vehicle code though and I don't see a reason for any high powered lobbyists to shut it down, (never know though!)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
Dragon said:

You be correct, the law is federal and applies to vehicle manufacturers specifications for new vehicles, not the owners of the vehicle or the operation of the system.
It's like the tags on a mattress ^-^

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't worry about your DRL's unless you are out of warranty! I just talked to the service manager and it is in your manual that the HID's are covered by your warranty, BUT only the HID's not any other bulbs. Not sure which warranty though because i don't have the manual in front of me right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts