Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 6 weeks into ownership and I curbed my perfect huff - I almost cried. :'( I have never had low profile tires before, or such expensive rims. Anyway, I took it to a shop and he will re-paint the grey area, then re-grind the face of the rim "a few thous", then re-clear coat, he said it will be perfect. Cost, $165 CDN. Does the cost and process sound about right? P.S. new rim $600 + tax installed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can feel your pain dude - it took me a couple curb scratches before I realized that parking with these rims requires 100% attention. I mute the radio and everything when I park now. Anyways, I brought a smaller scratch to a wheel & tire place, and they quoted $130 so it sounds about right to me. Why not check vwvortex.com and see if there is anything there? Reason being, I'm not sure how good these wheel repair shops are. Good luck.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic_Man said:
I can feel your pain dude - it took me a couple curb scratches before I realized that parking with these rims requires 100% attention. I mute the radio and everything when I park now. Anyways, I brought a smaller scratch to a wheel & tire place, and they quoted $130 so it sounds about right to me. Why not check vwvortex.com and see if there is anything there? Reason being, I'm not sure how good these wheel repair shops are. Good luck.
Thanks for the sympathy. I have talked to two shops and the price was about the same. The place I will take it to was recommended by my dealer's parts guy. He said they messed up a couple of Toureg rims when mounting them (gouged), and they came back perfect. So I think I will give them a try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too 'feel your pain'-I had a tire repaired last month and the tire dealer somehow put a 5" series of scratches, almost like it rubbed against a curb. They stood behind their mistake after a little bit of 'talking' and sent it out to a repair facility to machine off the scratches and refinish the wheel. It came back perfect, took about three days total turn around. They did not charge me, but from what I have heard about others paying for their own mistakes your price seems fair. By the way, to save a few bucks and not have it done right will burn you far longer than paying 30 bucks too much, but having it done right. My $.02. O0

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UD - Really sorry to hear it. I know it's going to happen to me sooner or later becuase I hug the curb to avoid door dings on the other side.
Ya, it does suck. But compared to some other posts on this site showing totaled cars, I feel like I have no right to complain. $165 will fix it up perfect - and I know I will probably do it again at some point. It seems pretty hard to avoid, although I will be even more careful now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my rim back yesterday, and it is perfect - phew!

I actually went out there Thursday to get it put back on, but they were running behind so he asked if I could come back tomorrow. I got a little pissed off because it took me 45 minutes to get there - and they said it was ready. He felt bad, so I got the repair for NO CHARGE. Nice guys. If anyone in the lower mainland around Vancouver curbs their rim, go see the guys at Nu-Brite in Surrey. So my car is back to perfect, except the constant road grime!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
uncle dude said:
I got my rim back yesterday, and it is perfect - phew!

I actually went out there Thursday to get it put back on, but they were running behind so he asked if I could come back tomorrow. I got a little pissed off because it took me 45 minutes to get there - and they said it was ready. He felt bad, so I got the repair for NO CHARGE. Nice guys. If anyone in the lower mainland around Vancouver curbs their rim, go see the guys at Nu-Brite in Surrey. So my car is back to perfect, except the constant road grime!
Thats good business....I don't hear that much anymore.

·
Registered
197 Posts
idid it to three of mine, well one i did, 1 my GF did and 1 another car did, a inch gash into the rim, so deep that i will probly have to buy a new rim.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I've only hit the curb in my once. That was like 2 weeks after I got it. 10 months later.. nothing. :)

I feel for you UD.. and I'm glad you got your rim back. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
nice work man...
i might just drive from Jersey to Vancouver if ever I curb my car...which WILL happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well...
I think I can take the cake on this one. Picked up my new 08 Black GTI last Friday and curbed the rim the same night! Was in a private hospital parking lot in Toronto visiting a friend...talking about it makes me sad. :(

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sick08Trick said:
Well...
I think I can take the cake on this one. Picked up my new 08 Black GTI last Friday and curbed the rim the same night! Was in a private hospital parking lot in Toronto visiting a friend...talking about it makes me sad. :(
I feel ya. They can be fixed though - my advice buck up the $180 and get it done right away. That was the only way I could deal with it. How bad is it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well...it's not that bad, just a 2 inch scuff on the edge of the rim, hardly noticable. Still sucks, although I can live with it. Spoke to a dealership here in Toronto this morning, I think they said 600+ for a rim?!?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sick08Trick said:
Well...it's not that bad, just a 2 inch scuff on the edge of the rim, hardly noticable. Still sucks, although I can live with it. Spoke to a dealership here in Toronto this morning, I think they said 600+ for a rim?!?
Yep. They are expensive wheels, which is why I can't understand why people don't get them for the extra $900. If you look close on my wheel above, I scraped the exterior edge as well as gouging the face. Because the scrape is in the grey zone, they had to re-paint the wheel. This was all included in the price - you don't need a new wheel O0

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
600 FOR ONE RIM?!

That's stupid....

I can get all four for roughly 800 from Raderwerks... I don't know if they're replicas... cause they sell BBS rims on the website too... and our Huffs are BBS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I had my first scratch on the right front RIM of my GTI today. As is the case with everyone, I feel real bad about it and was wondering where I should go to get the issue resolved. Does anyone in Atlanta know a good wheel repair store that can take care of this?
Please let me know so that I can go and get this thing done as soon as possible else it will keep bothering me whenever I see my GTI

1 - 20 of 21 Posts