Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in deep guys. got a 2001 gti (145k miles)on my hands and it was overheating when idling for over 10 mins or so but when im normally driving it wudnt and my fans didnt seem to turn on when they were supposed to.

so i went to a VW dealership to get a diagnostic and this is what they told me.

New waterpump (480$)
New Thermostat(337$)
New Coolant temp. sensor(156$)
New Aux Fuse panel(200$)

now this is completly out of my price range and i just want my car to not overheat and my fans to work properly so i can have a.c. is this really what its going to take? or is there a way around this or a cheaper solutuion. also if anyone can help with sum tips if im replacing the water pump/thermostat at home. ty! please i need help haha

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt reallt go to get a price, i went to go see whats wrong. im wondering if i really have to do all that to fix my problem you see? im sure if i look around i can find it cheaper.

·
Registered
386 Posts
ok first off thermostat you can get one for 17 dollars, i did it myself, was an hour job, and thats just coz we were *****footing, when doing you will also need a new dipstick holder coz the ish will break when you try and take it out, plus some coolant, so your looking at around 45 for the thermostat doing it yourself, coolant temp sensor, thats a joke you can seriously do that in 10 minutes, just by the new green coolant temp sensor and replace it yourself its easy, i think its around 30 bucks at ecstuning.com, all these write ups or on vortex, id link you but im lazy, now that leaves you with the waterpump and aux fuse panel, those i have no idea about, but find a good euro shop and i bet theyd do both of those for way cheaper... wayyyyy cheaper, look to buy the waterpump and fuze panel yourself, and bring em to a shop you think is good and get a price prolly be way cheaper than the dealer

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Actually a water pump job isn't that easy on these cars, and if you've never done one then you just speculate. If you do the water pump, change the timing belt. It's an absolute must. The thermostat I changed without breaking the dipstick, so that's just silly. And if you want a link for parts...

Temp sensor:
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/cosegto.html

Thermostat:
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4stth.html

Water pump:
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4wapuw.html

Timing belt kit:
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/oemtibekit.html

And if you want to do-it-yourself, here's a Bentley manual:
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4bentley9905.html

Tho a few of us can walk you through the process or provide links for all of the above.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheres the coolant temp. sensor located? and when u say the new green one.. that doesnt correspond to the color the coolant is does it?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Check the link I posted above. The coolant sensor along with the water pump and coilpacks are all known parts to fail. Consequently, VW released a newer coolant temp sensor not as prone to failure, which has a green colored top.

Coolant you can use anything as long as it's G11 or G12 from a dealer, the new G12++ is amazing, purple in color but a bit pricey. Also, for the fuse panel which one? The one on the battery? http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Search/Fuse_Panel/ES248855/

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea the one that sits ontop of the battery.. they said if it gets to hot or sumthn it mucks up n it can have sumthn to do wit the fans or sumthn. im kinda new to all this so sorry if i sound dumb lol where exactly shud i start to fix my problem?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
let's actually diagnose it, how does the car overheat? sitting still or moving?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sitting still. its never overheted on me while driving, idk if its because theres airflow or what.. and my fans dont seem to work.. like my ac blows cold sumtimes and not at other times.. it seems they kinda turn on whenever they want not when there supposed to

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
willing to bet the water pump is gone

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
me too.. but is that going to effect the fans and stuff? or is that all the temp sensor and thermostat?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Temp sensor relates to the fans, so you will want to replace that as well. Thermostat too. If you do everything at once it just helps prevent problems a few weeks or months from now...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right. so basically everything i listed in my first post i really do have to replace?.. and if im doing them at home the best place to see how is that book u posted? or is there sumwhere i can go so i dont have to pay so much for the book to figure it out?..

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Book is good for so much more than just those repairs, but if you opt out of the book we can post you a few links to a few sites that can walk you through everything

The site I gave you lists everything for MUCH cheaper than what you were quoted by the dealer. It's something I'd say do during the weekend, or whenever you have consecutive days off, it is a timely job. It can be done in a day, easily, but for your first time you want to make sure you give yourself plenty of time. And we're always here if you need some help

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a ton guys, i thought i was doomed. this is my first time starting a new thread and it went great. i love this place haha ^.^ im guna order the parts at those links u sent n get them all together first b4 i start. if i have problems ill be back.. the only problem i may forsee is maybe locating these things on my car haha. like the temp sensor for the coolant o_O ill figure it out. thanks again.

if i got a quick qestion idk if people give eachother phone numbers or anything?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If my phone was still turned on I would, may fix that this thursday tho... If nothing else just send a pm or hit me up on AIM. If I'm anywhere near my house my ipod will go off lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright cool sounds good.. sounds like a nice setup u got haha but if i get into trouble ull hear frm me :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts