Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i dont konow too much about turbos, i mean i get the whole concept and all i just want to learn a little more about them. and in english, not this hardcore mechanic talk. and also i really want to know about turbo timers because i hear they are really good for your turbo but i dont know why. anyone got any knowledge?

·
Registered
635 Posts
look through the forums you'll find all of the knowledge you need or if you know something specific use the search button

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Collin1.8 said:
So i dont konow too much about turbos, i mean i get the whole concept and all i just want to learn a little more about them. and in english, not this hardcore mechanic talk. and also i really want to know about turbo timers because i hear they are really good for your turbo but i dont know why. anyone got any knowledge?
Here is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo

Now- I'm not familiar on the specifics on the 1.8T, but you really don't need a turbo timer on the 2.0fsi.

If you want your turbo to last longer: a cool down of 30 seconds to 2 minutes, before shutting the motor off. Watch your engine oil levels and make sure there is always adequate oil.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright so if im understanding this right then all a turbo timer is for is to keep the engine running for a little bit after your done driving so that the turbo can cool down for a bit. am i correct? thats all it does?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Collin1.8 said:
alright so if im understanding this right then all a turbo timer is for is to keep the engine running for a little bit after your done driving so that the turbo can cool down for a bit. am i correct? thats all it does?
Pretty much...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright well thats pretty simple. are they any hard to install? i have electrical background, i am an mobile install tech at best buy. and also i reading somewhere on the forums say that 1.8s arent good to put blow off valves on, or somthing like that. or they need diverter valves instead? i dunno, i dunno, if anyone can explaine that too me then that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
collins,
if you want to really learn (not saying that people here do not know. people here know a lot more than me and i work on turbo/supercharged vehicles) even in the army we have turbos and superchargers, but if you reeally want the specs and what it does. use google. i know people here have helped me out a lot with my vehicle. and i started using google also. but if it is something that i can not understand than i ask here too. but it depends how much you want to learn too. this is the best site on the net for GTIs. so have fun. sorry if this affended anyone.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
here is a suggestion for everyone. one of my friends got me on this and i have not stopped sence he told me about it. there is a magazine called EUROPEAN CAR. they always have information on the GTIs. for the month of september 2008 the cover cars were a 2008 VWGTI and a 1976 VW GOLF GTI. The first GTI. also that is where i found the KO4 turbo kit for the 2.0t fsi. so that is a really great magazine to read. pluse they have lots of other stuff like "HOU TO" projects. just wanted every one to know. if you know great if you did not know and you even look at it than great. but i am telling you it is really worth it to get it.

thanks V/R
SGT(P) JEFFREY A. HOUGNON
ECHO 3-158 AVN REGT
RECOVERY NCOIC

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
ATTENTION ATTENTION.

HEY EVERY ONE OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL. I AM IN GERMANY AND I HAVE THE KO4 TURBO KIT HERE IS THE LINK http://kmdtuning.com/store/index.php...productId=1109 ALSO THE FMIC HERE IS THE LINK. http://kmdtuning.com/store/index.php...productId=1132 FOR SELL. IT IS BRAND NEW NEVER BEEN USED. I CAN NOT GET THE USA SOFTWEAR FROM REVO IN GERMANY. I AM LOOKING TO SELL BECAUSE OF THAT. SO IF ANYONE IS INTRESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL SHIP IT THROUGH THE USPS (APO IN GERMANY) AND IT WILL BE INSURED. THE PRICE ON THE INTERNET IS WHAT I PAYED FOR IT. IT REQUIRES REVO STAGE 3. PLEASE READ WHAT IT COMES WITH AND ALL DATA. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. IF ANYONE IS INTRESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW HERE IS MY E-MAIL ADDRESS. [email protected] OR [email protected]. OR IF YOU WANT TO CALL HERE IS MY PHONE NUMBER 011491787144175. I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER IN GERMANY SO I SPEEK ENGLISH. LOL ANYWAYS. IF INTRESTED LET ME KNOW ASAP. I JUST CAN NOT GET THE SOFTWEAR AND IT IS NOT WORK HAVING THE PARTS SITTING IN MY BASEMENT NOT DOING ANYTHING UNTIL I GET BACK TO THE STATES IN 2010 OR LATER IF I GET DEPLOYED AGAIN.

THANKS AGAIN JEFF AKA FASTGTI

PS IF THIS IS NOT THE PROPER WAY OF TRYING TO GET RID OF THIS I AM SORRY BUT I NEED TO GET RID OF IT TO SOME ONE THAT CAN USE IT,.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts