Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly I totaled my old 1.8t last October. Looking for a new car I couldn't find anything better than another mk4. So much bang for the buck and good little cars. So I picked up another 1.8t same year. I got it for pretty cheap after having a mechanic inspect it and negotiating with the seller. All in all a small list of problems and a beat up mk4, I mean relative to my previously babied one, that needs a bunch of love.

So I have been driving it off and on from January till May (out of state college), and now using it to travel to work since May. It has been running pretty well so far. I have fixed a major boost leak where they tried to repair the hose with duct tape... Still have some problems that I believe are related to leaks. Sorry for the spiel, now the real post...

The mechanic said that one of the turbo seals was leaking a very small amount of oil. I feel that it could be important to mention also that the clutch is supposedly going out.
My issues are:
1) idle rpms occasionally drop low (assuming leak) this happens rarely. I have a boost gauge that reads ~20 psi idle. Though I recall it was lower at one point, maybe that was before my previous fix.
2) sometimes the car boosts fine with almost full power but other times I have little acceleration.
3) sometimes acceleration/boost pulses. The car will get ~15 psi (if i recall correctly) and drop to ~10 psi. Then will climb back up to ~15 psi and repeat.

I made a boost leak tester and hooked the car up to a compressor (no more than 5 psi holding the oil cap on for a few seconds and releasing) I found a "leak" on the outflow of the turbo (green arrow)
20140619_190135.jpg

The leak is occurring in the gap between the two metal pieces of the turbo, the "ring". Is this normal (I am assuming it isn't)? What can I do to fix it? At first I thought the hose wasn't on completely but further inspection made me realize that wasn't the issue. I can't recall if this "ring" is able to come out or not, I don't think it is. You can see some oil around it as well. I am leaking a drop or two every week and can smell it burning. Also, just recently, the traction control light and abs light came on, not sure this is part of it as I haven't been able to get it scanned yet. I am sure there are more leaks I am just unable to find them because I think I am pressurizing the system at the wrong spot (right after the MAF).

Also any info on turbo seals i.e. where they are located, how hard they are to replace, fix the leaking/burning oil etc. would be great too! Just trying to rely less and less on mechanics and become one of my own.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can't help with the leak issues but I bet the traction control light and abs light is because of the speed sensor on a front wheel.
I had the same lights come on and that's what vag-com told me. Front passenger side to be precise.
In hindsight, just cleaning all the road grime off the magnet would have probably solved the problem but I put a new sensor on anyway (seeing as how I had already purchased one).

Cliff notes - Clean the sensor on each wheel and see if the lights go out.
If not, get it scanned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So of what I understand, the turbo should not be leaking air there. A large part of my boosting issue was the seller or previous owner put the wrong spark plugs in the car. Those are swapped out now and the car is fun to drive again. There is still a boost issue though. I still think there's a hole in a rubber tube because of the fluctuating boost from 15, down to 10, back to 15, back down to 10, repeat. I'm assuming what is occurring, is the hole is closed until the tube expands with 15 psi. With the expansion, the hole opens and the air leaks out until the hose shrinks again. Thinking of getting it smoked because I have not found it yet.

I also found that the oil is not leaking from the turbo but rather the chain tensioner gasket as well as the cam seal behind the cam sensor. The abs and traction control light are due to my tire wearing/cutting the ABS sensor wiring harness. So thank you Capt221, I think this is pretty much the same thing you were talking about. I figured it was correct because my old gti had the same issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts