Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Most Powerful Tuner for Stock Turbo (NOT JUST WHAT YOU BOUGHT))

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so yeah, im new to vw, not new to tuning, or these forums. yeah i already know 20k+ people and their mom are going to bash me and tell me to search but i have and can only get pieces of a definitive answer - other may argue im not searching enough - to them i then respond FOOL THIS IS TIME NOT DRIVING AND I NEED AN ANSWER SO YEAH I MAY HAVE ASKED GOD FORBID. anyway, say what you want, bash me if you will, however if you do, please leave a link that you know of, or a simple answer after your bashing so your at least helpful and not some dude that just sits on forums and has an attitude toward people and is no help at all.

NOW FOR THE POINT OF THIS THREAD

about two months ago i bought a 2009 mkv gti with the new TSI motor. about a month back or so (??) at waterfest i went and got uni stage 1+ and let me tel you im not displeased with it, however i find there customer service and dealer availability to be low for me and may consider changing. also revo/aprs changing ability would be nice so that i dont have to visit a dealer for when there is snow on the ground to revert me to stock for a few days so that way putting down traction wont be like on ice.

ive done a good amount of research but cant find any definitive numbers and or remarks, everyone that sides with a particular company seems to be working for that company, or is biased about their own tune. ive read things from apr ranging from 200whp-230whp with 230wtq-310wtq just for stage 1, and uni even higher number, and revo even higher torque with a lil less hp. these numbers look like BULL****, i pull up a thread and some kid is throwing dyno sheets out of his stage 1 WHOEVER tune and is showing 230-250whp/300-350wtq? but all dynos are different - and these numbers sound like with the wheels off like an axle dyno. i dont know what to mark up as what, and what to compare to what.

if someone could PLEASE. PRETTY FRIGGN PLEASE- post avg bhp/btq and whp/wtq for each stage of each tuner, i think that this thread would answer alot of people's questions and further help them to decide, becuase the comparissons on the website are using diff hardware (ie. intake/hpfp) and its like apples and oranges.

so does anyone have some concrete information on: (MUSTANG DYNOS PLZ / ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE 'BONUS' MODS IF THERE ANY)

TSI TSI TSI TSI TSI TSI!!!!!! (not shutting down tfsi input just fyi)

APR stage 1 ENGINE HP/TQ
APR stage 1 WHEEL HP/TQ
(AVERAGE, 70-90 DEGREES, HEALTHY CAR, NECESSARY MODS ONLY)
APR stage 2 ENGINE HP/TQ
APR stage 2 WHEEL HP/TQ

REVO stage 1 ENGINE HP/TQ
REVO stage 1 WHEEL HP/TQ
REVO stage 2 ENGINE HP/TQ
REVO stage 2 WHEEL HP/TQ
REVO stage 2+ ENGINE HP/TQ
REVO stage 2+ WHEEL HP/TQ

UNI stage 1+ ENGINE HP/TQ
UNI stage 1+ WHEEL HP/TQ
UNI stage 2 ENGINE HP/TQ
UNI stage 2 WHEEL HP/TQ

I KNOW THIS IS ASKING FOR ALOT OF INFORMATION, and yeah i know BHP numbers are on all their websites, just wanted to see if people read/felt/heard something different, and obv. im more interested in WHP/WTQ.

i feel as if everyone maybe throws in their two cents all this info can be completed and ill even go as far as rewritting what i had requested with the numbers people provide for easy viewing afterwards.

Tuners feel free to jump in but dont give me no biased crap lol.

LASTLY, (probly revo) but of these tuners, who generally, puts out the most hp for 1, and 2/2+ - who puts out most tq for 1 and 2/2+. i guess... who is the most powerful, generally, more often.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was just tuned with APR stage 2 for the past yr (~30k) and i was just reflashed to uni stage two and uni is much more impressive the car feels much more powerful. I was told from the guys at Notrh American Motorsports tht Unitronic was by far the most aggressive (this is when i had APR so we were just talking about tuners they werent trying to sell me anything, plus they sell Uni, APR, and Revo) and Uni has the most room to improve big turbo wise. (tsi vs fsi power are very very similar)

I dont have any numbers from my car (but previous cars ive done pulls with while on APR we were about even now with Uni im pulling away)
Info posted on the sites i know for APR and UNI not sure about revo. APRs posted numbers are estimated crank hp (this is per Arin and he didn't really comment when i asked what tht meant) UNIs posted numbers are from engine dynos

But numbers i have:

My buddy dynoed his APR stage 2 (91 oct) TSI, it has the forge twintake, BFI stage 2 Motor mounts, and is DSG. He Pulled 207 WHP and 214 WTQ it was 85 out and he was at 4200 ft elevation, on a mustang dyno

there was a post of a MK6 TSI putting down 248 WHP on a UNI stage 2 tune but i cant fine any other details about tht if i do ill edit and add them

Ive seen all kinda of spread dyno sheets with APR and other tuners. I can tell u i felt a huge difference in power going to uni, car feels faster, holds power better and just seems to run smoother. APR is still a good tune but i was unimpressed with there customer service and expandability for larger turbo set-ups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just tuned with APR stage 2 for the past yr (~30k) and i was just reflashed to uni stage two and uni is much more impressive the car feels much more powerful. I was told from the guys at Notrh American Motorsports tht Unitronic was by far the most aggressive (this is when i had APR so we were just talking about tuners they werent trying to sell me anything, plus they sell Uni, APR, and Revo) and Uni has the most room to improve big turbo wise. (tsi vs fsi power are very very similar)

I dont have any numbers from my car (but previous cars ive done pulls with while on APR we were about even now with Uni im pulling away)
Info posted on the sites i know for APR and UNI not sure about revo. APRs posted numbers are estimated crank hp (this is per Arin and he didn't really comment when i asked what tht meant) UNIs posted numbers are from engine dynos

But numbers i have:

My buddy dynoed his APR stage 2 (91 oct) TSI, it has the forge twintake, BFI stage 2 Motor mounts, and is DSG. He Pulled 207 WHP and 214 WTQ it was 85 out and he was at 4200 ft elevation, on a mustang dyno

there was a post of a MK6 TSI putting down 248 WHP on a UNI stage 2 tune but i cant fine any other details about tht if i do ill edit and add them

Ive seen all kinda of spread dyno sheets with APR and other tuners. I can tell u i felt a huge difference in power going to uni, car feels faster, holds power better and just seems to run smoother. APR is still a good tune but i was unimpressed with there customer service and expandability for larger turbo set-ups.
thank you for the input my friend. much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Well, you complained about availability and lack of shops. APR is by far the biggest of the players with more shops than any other. From what I hear, Mustang dyno's will give you the lowest numbers (some say due to it being able to better simulate real driving). Besides what Bill said above, I know 1 other person that went from APR to Uni with a noticeable difference on the Uni tune. I cant speak for anything else...

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Well, you complained about availability and lack of shops. APR is by far the biggest of the players with more shops than any other. From what I hear, Mustang dyno's will give you the lowest numbers (some say due to it being able to better simulate real driving). Besides what Bill said above, I know 1 other person that went from APR to Uni with a noticeable difference on the Uni tune. I cant speak for anything else...
Chris and Wilson both prefer Uni, as do I. The tune is smoother and quicker...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was putting down around 248 when I was Stage 2. I also had a few guys with APR that said that the power in my car comes on a little better then in theirs. I will have to dig out my sheets to tell you exact numbers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry I gave you some bad info. Stock I was putting out 172hp and 207 tq. Stage 2, W/M, dp and a drop in air filter put down 227hp and 281tq. All was done on a mustang

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Mustang dyno immediately after my Stage 2 Uni tune...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Thanks, they probably look much better now though with the ECU learning the tune and the addition of a FMIC. IAT's were very high during this dyno.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mustang dyno immediately after my Stage 2 Uni tune...

numbers look decent for immediately after the tune, but like he said above UNI takes about 20min of driving to fully adapt to get the fullest out of your car gas/mods ect

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, they probably look much better now though with the ECU learning the tune and the addition of a FMIC. IAT's were very high during this dyno.
iats? and do you think the ecu will learn THAT much? and i assume learn a smoother curve and not find where to push more? what do you think youd be putting down with a fmic tune, btw do all tuners like apr, uni, etc. offer custom tunes at the dealers for say your more aggressive or conservative tastes with say maybe diff mods than just the stage mods?

·
Registered
396 Posts
IATs are intake air temp, higher the temp less oxygen in the air so less power, and heat soak. Well when i got my car tuned with UNI initiall it didnt pull as hard as apr did then after 15-20 min of driving it was amazing the difference.

None of the tuners have a tune for a bigger FMIC. UNI and APR dont offer custom tunes you basically use what they got and thts it. its not like Subaru and Honda where you can get an open source tune on a dyno or even like with a COBB access port where you can have up to 2o tunes on the hand held access port

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a giac stage 1 tune. +33whp and +55lb/ft torque. according to the dyno i'm not just pulling numbers out my ass. You didn't mention giac in your question but hey, i'm just opening your eyes to other alternatives. also, apr boasts big numbers but their tunes tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to torque.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IATs are intake air temp, higher the temp less oxygen in the air so less power, and heat soak. Well when i got my car tuned with UNI initiall it didnt pull as hard as apr did then after 15-20 min of driving it was amazing the difference.

None of the tuners have a tune for a bigger FMIC. UNI and APR dont offer custom tunes you basically use what they got and thts it. its not like Subaru and Honda where you can get an open source tune on a dyno or even like with a COBB access port where you can have up to 2o tunes on the hand held access port
wait.. your kidding right... i cant get a custom tune at any point? say a stage2custom, or whatever to tune some diff mods? its funny u mention subaru, i had a 04 wrx, with a cobb accessport and yeah they had stagw 1 and 2, but also the capability to go to any tuner and have them tweak a map or make a new one for you - you cant do that with ANYONE?

·
Registered
396 Posts
wait.. your kidding right... i cant get a custom tune at any point? say a stage2custom, or whatever to tune some diff mods? its funny u mention subaru, i had a 04 wrx, with a cobb accessport and yeah they had stagw 1 and 2, but also the capability to go to any tuner and have them tweak a map or make a new one for you - you cant do that with ANYONE?
Nope, the vws are wayyyyyyyy more complex compared to a wrx. Uni offers some tweaks and so does revo. I know apr doesnt do a thing to tweak or change anything.

But bc the ecus are more complex they adapt better, there really arent any other mods tho. Tht will gain you more power intakes really don't add power, with a stage 1 tune your already maxed out on boost due to turbo Size, a bigger fmic wont gain u power just make the power u have more usable and consistent. Once ur stage 2 really the only way to gain power would be bigger turbos. On open source like tune would maybe net u a few hp on. The stock turbo.

Sent from my EVO

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Uni does offer some tweaking by the shops. Not recommended that you do any of that on your own. The shop I got tuned/dyno'ed does dyno tuning where they will tweak some settings, test it on the dyno and keep adjusting until they are happy. Thats as much of a "custom tune" as your going to get.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
Ok, Apr is a safer tune then Revo though right? As, Apr doesn't give you and option as to how you tune where Revo does!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Ok, Apr is a safer tune then Revo though right? As, Apr doesn't give you and option as to how you tune where Revo does!
Apr does have software that allows you to openly tune your car...

·
Registered
396 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts