Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went through the whole VW TSB list and found 6 TSB's that should probably be handled to the 2006 GTI Mk5. Here they are:
1. fuel line rattle under pass. floor area
2. reprogram the panasonic radio to fix volume fluxuation at high speed/high volume
3. speedometer recalibration (they blame Euro tire measurement standard)
4. No 'SAT' (satellite) showing on the radio (supposedly will be fixed w/ same software update as #2 above
5. No crank/hard cranking when engine is hot-they will replace a part within the steering wheel that controls this
6. front seats require additional 3M silicone lube on rails for proper smooth operation getting into back seat

Golly I hope I get a good svc. advisor....... they will probably need my car for 2 weeks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I felt I was having a speedometer issue... the car said i was going fast but didnt feel like it especially when people passed me left and right (then again I was driving in CA)

anyone else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like I'm having a speedo issue, too. It doesn't seem like I'm traveling as fast as the car says I am. But the odometer (at least the trip odometer) seems to be OK, same distance to and from work. Maybe they're not connected.

I'll have to mention it when I go in for the 5K service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I told the service guy about problem #4 and he said its because I didn't leave the sat radio on the same channel for 1 hour after it was activated. Pretty much telling me to call Sirius and sit in my car for an hour... ::)

·
Registered
398 Posts
MikeDawgGTI said:
I told the service guy about problem #4 and he said its because I didn't leave the sat radio on the same channel for 1 hour after it was activated. Pretty much telling me to call Sirius and sit in my car for an hour... ::)
That's a new one. I have set up a Sirius radio before and definitely didn't have it on for a hour and it works fine. The XM in my car didn't require this either. I would call boldface on your service adviser.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dealer did not have the software, as of yet, to do the TSB for the "NO SAT" display. They did the TSB for the speedo. Now the speedo is only about 2 - 3 % fast as opposed to 7% but my odometer is, now, about 3% slow and it used to be dead on. This is all verified by my Garmin GPS.

The TSB was not a fix. It was only a compromise to try to slip the problem by most people. Without a GPS, you would not be able to tell that there is an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If your odometer's behind, consider yourself lucky. You'll be selling the car in a couple of years with less mileage than you actually put on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thalo said:
If your odometer's behind, consider yourself lucky. You'll be selling the car in a couple of years with less mileage than you actually put on.
That is true and considering that I drive about 700 miles a week makes it even better. The down side, though, is that MPG calculations now have yo be down by hand. The displayed MPG has no validity.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I have a tip. Don't drive it like it's stolen... all the time. During the summer I tried different driving styles between fill ups. For one tank load I drove very conservative like, didn't even hear the turbo most of the time and I got over 600km (375miles) to the tank. Drove really aggressively for one tank load and got only 450km (280miles) to the tank. Lately I've been trending to the latter as the roads are covered with snow and ice and I'm testing the limits of my snow tires/ESP/ABS/drifting ability.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Care to elaborate on your findings Thalo? I have yet to find a snowy road here in coastal NC.. 8)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone had abnormal changes in the consistency of there speedometer? Example: If you are at a dead stop, and you begin to accelerate and attempt to maintain a constant rate of acceleration, in my fast, i will notice that the speedometer will seem to accellerate faster in some spots other than others. Then later it will act normal. I've done this little 'test' a bunch of times and I have had this happen quite often. I thought I was still getting used to the car but I really didn't think much of it untill I read this thread. Also while stopped with the car idiling I have on two occasions noticed the speedometer (while registering zero) quickly flicker between 5 and 10 mph then fall right back to zero.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Care to elaborate on your findings Thalo? I have yet to find a snowy road here in coastal NC.. 8)
This car for the most part is a winter warrior. Even before I got my snow tires, with the stock continentals, I drove it though a blizzard and it was pretty decent. The ABS/ESP do all the work. With snow tires on it's like I've got four wheel drive. I found though that in first gear the ESP doesnt engage as much and I get a lot more tire spin, then in 2nd it really goes to work. Lane changing over the snow strip that usually covers the center line on highways is completely flawless as the ESP engages for each wheel independently as they cross the snow strip.

It's -20 to -25 degrees Celsius out (I don't even know what that is in Fahrenheit as I've never been in the U.S. when it's that cold). I had the car parked outside all day yesterday and when I started it at night time it whimpered a little at first but then it came on no problem. Same this morning when I started it. A problem that I've found though, with snow and cold, is brushing the snow off the front windshield with the raised edges between the windshield and the A-bar. Kinda forces you to have to brush everything onto the roof, you can't brush it to the sides. Also, a lot of ice has formed under where the windshield wiipers sit, making it so that they can no longer retract down into their hidden position when not in use.

Seat warmers are a fucking godsend. Last night I was driving and my hands were so cold I could hardly feel my fingers and the car wasn't warmed up yet (needs a heated steering wheel), but my seat was so at each red light I took my hands off the ice cold wheel and sat on em.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm dealing with this speedo issue being off also. I've now mentioned it at 5K service (and got "no problems found") - and now at 10K service and got "It's normal, adjustment for rim/tire size differences. I have a feeling they haven't taken the time to perform the Euro TSB I've read about on here (tks). Drives me nuts ...I have to go I guess about 71mph to actually be doing 65. I'm sure the cop will understand someday...OH, it's messed up officer...I have to go over the speed limit by my measurements, but I'm bad at math.... I'm going back armed with info now. I think it's unacceptable. And, if it's truly calibrated for biggers tires/rims...fine, put 'em on and make it right!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had problems 2 and 4 too. Took it in and they did a "reflash" and it's MUCH better :D I was beginning to think that for a $25,780 car, the stereo really sucked. It sounded better in my 2004 Jetta!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.