Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. So I thought I'd share my recent findings for gear oil.
About a month ago I got the clutch replaced in my car, and the mechanic asked if I wanted to replace the OEM fluid with Redline, assuming he meant the MT90, so I had it done. Over time the gear box started grinding more and more. It went from just 3rd gear grinding, to 4th to 1st and finally to 2nd. It would grind in just about every gear if I wasn't extremely careful about it. Anyways, I called him after a month of this and it turns out he put in this "Redline Lightweight Shockproof" oil. I couldn't find anything on here or other forums about this new fluid so this is why I'm posting about it here. I bought some "GM Synchromesh Friction Modified" as everyone recommends, and replaced the Redline. It's like butter now, not a single grind, gears slip in easier, and it's like a new car. It's better than the OEM fluid, and light years ahead of the Shockproof. I don't know if it's just bad luck, but I would strongly recommend staying away from this Shockproof Oil. It caused problems in the car that were not previously there (hopefully it didn't do too much damage).

Tl;dr Don't buy Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil. GM Sychromesh is magical.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My buddy just got some Royal Purple 75w140

Shifts great too, I know mine needs done, So I just purchased some too. A great recommendation too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts