Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2006 MK5 FSI with DSG with 94,000 miles on it.

Last week, I went to the dealer due to a strange *whirring* noise I was hearing when ever I moved from a cold stop. I find out my transmission was dying. I took it to an independent transmission shop that my mom trusts and recommended, the guy found a refurbished DSG tranny with 33,000 miles on it, he's installing it as I type.

I love my car, but I'm a little frustrated that this happened, I tried to treat my car well. I know I have 94,000 miles on the car, but I didn't floor it everywhere I went(I'm fact, unless I had a reason or incentive to drive aggressively, I drove the car like a grandma), I used premium fuel, I got synthetic oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals, I sea-foamed my engine. And now I'm paying $3,550 because of a bad transmission, in addition to a bad axel shaft.

I was debating cutting my losses and investing in a new car(I was looking into the newer Nissan Maximas), but I realized that it wasn't financially practical(I'm a substitute teacher, and while the money is currently good, it's not consistent enough to deal with another car payment), plus my mom offered to help me out with the expenses to get it fixed, plus I love my GTI, and don't really wanna get rid of it, not until I'm out of college and have a steady job at least.

I guess what I'm asking is, what maintenance can I do to make sure my car lasts me a good additional few years? I know the FSI's have an issue with the cam follower, the last time I had it replaced was around 74,000 miles by the dealership during the recall, I'm now at 94,000 miles, should I replace it again? And also, what other pre emptive measures can I take to make sure my car stays in good shape?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sounds like you've been doing everything correctly except the cam follower. Toss that thing aside and replace it with a new one every 10k miles.

http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/12734-DIY-HPFP-Removal-and-Cam-Follower-Replacement

The only other thing I can think of is the DSG needs a flush and fill (from the dealer) every 40k miles. I just did my first one at 70k. I know I should've done it sooner and there was definitely a difference in how it feels afterwards. I don't know how your independent shop is going to properly fill the DSG fluid unless it uses VCDS to get the fluid temperature. There's one other way I've seen online in a Youtube video but it didn't take temperature into consideration.

Let us know how it goes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts