Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and the GTI scene. I just purchased my 2011 Carbon Steel Grey 4 Door DSG GTI two weeks ago and was wondering about the "break in" period? I know that when you get a new car you usually want to break it in a little bit to help with the seals and what not. But I was talking to a VW Tech at my dealer who's really into GTI's and he said the way they're manufactured, there really isn't a "break in" period for them... He said as long as I didn't redline the car too much and for long periods of time, that I should be fine? What do you guys think? And is there such a thing as putting too many miles on a car too fast? Haha. I got this car FRESH with only 2 miles on it and in exactly two weeks, I have put 1002 miles on it... [drive] Don't ask me how it happened. But it did. Is this possibly bad for the car at all?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm actually about to go outside and de-badge the GTI emblems from the front and back. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and the GTI scene. I just purchased my 2011 Carbon Steel Grey 4 Door DSG GTI two weeks ago and was wondering about the "break in" period? I know that when you get a new car you usually want to break it in a little bit to help with the seals and what not. But I was talking to a VW Tech at my dealer who's really into GTI's and he said the way they're manufactured, there really isn't a "break in" period for them... He said as long as I didn't redline the car too much and for long periods of time, that I should be fine? What do you guys think? And is there such a thing as putting too many miles on a car too fast? Haha. I got this car FRESH with only 2 miles on it and in exactly two weeks, I have put 1002 miles on it... [drive] Don't ask me how it happened. But it did. Is this possibly bad for the car at all?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm actually about to go outside and de-badge the GTI emblems from the front and back. Wish me luck.
im about 95% positive that VW puts about 500 miles on the motor before its even sold. its more of a brake in the clutch period which you dont really have cus you have a DSG. but dont beat on it to much as witch any car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I meant 2 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does that mean it's already been "broken in"? Or is that just to test out the engine?

Lol. I'll blame these stupid questions on me being a noob like everyone else seems to do when they first start posting.

[suicide]

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
So does that mean it's already been "broken in"? Or is that just to test out the engine?

Lol. I'll blame these stupid questions on me being a noob like everyone else seems to do when they first start posting.

[suicide]
its kinda both. a way to test and brake in :)

and everyone starts out somewhere

·
Registered
13 Posts
Break in period is actually discussed in the owner's manual. To be honest though, I bought mine in Germany, and the day I picked it up (it had 6 miles on it), I took it on the Autobahn (the place I picked it up was about an hour and fifteen minute drive away from home) for a nice drive home averaging 125 MPH. I wouldn't worry too much. As far as the mileage, I've been driving mine now for 9 months (bought it May 2010, but it took 2 months to ship it from Germany to California...damn military shippers) and I just broke 18K last week. :D

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I just wanna say I like the title of this thread. And as far as break in, you wanna run it through the rev range and back down again. Im not saying punch it to redline, but run it moderately up through the revs and back down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My GTI came with 59 miles on the odometer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet, thanks guys. Yeah… I wasn't sure. I asked the Mechanic from the VW Dealership about it like I said in the original post and he pretty much told me I can drive it like a bat out of hell haha. But I have resisted that urge for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Yeah. The break in period is nice to abide by when you first get a new car and make sure the oil has lubricated everything in the engine and able to settle in a little but I do not think that you could have harmed anything with doing a little bit of spirited driving. ;D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was a little worried about my break-in as well. Bought a new 2010 last Fall with 50 miles on it and kind of babied it for awhile but then was told a smooth rev up to redline once in awhile may actually be good for it. Taking that approach I saw that I burned about half a quart oil the first 2500 miles. I changed the oil at 5000 using Castrol 5-30 Syntec and haven't used a drop up to 10000. Gas mileage slowly improved as well and the car has just felt stronger. After 10000 miles I went to APR stage 1 thinking it had "broken in" enough. Since then my mileage has gone up about 2 MPG ( on the freeway) and about 1MPG overall. The increase performance is a welcome given. With the price of gas for 92 octane at $4.10 in my area, I'm saving about $4.00 a week on gas so should pay for the chip in about 3 years assuming gas stays at $4.00!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts