Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've let things go really really beyond what I should let them go and now I need to replace my tires.... a week ago (don't ask how much thread is left).
SoiIn any case, I drive between 120 and 180 miles a day, and while I enjoy the GTI on the road (too much sometimes ;) ) I am not planning on racing it but I do want to be able to take those tight turns at high speed like I did with my stock tires and get same or better tread life. So... what do you all recommend? Oh yeah, I'm in CA so I don't have to worry about snow, but I do have to worry about rain.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO there's only 3 tires that are worth putting on my car.

Here they are in order.

1) Toyo Proxes T1-R - Great performance at a reasonable price. Also you can look for the 1st version of the T1-R which was the Proxes T1-S, these have been discontinued by Toyo but some warehouses still have them. I currently have the T1-S on my GTI now. WAY better than the Bridgestone Potenzas that came with the car. Potenzas suck BTW.

2) Michelin Pilot Sport - I had these on my 20th AE GTI - they handled great but are very expensive - I got about 30,000 HARD miles out of them.

3) Goodyear Eagle F1 - I've never had these personally but I know a few people with them and they all swear by them. Alos very expensive.

Always remember too ..... you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yea, you ****'s.

bridgestone potenza G009. great traction, lasts a long time...

is that confusing?

and there's you "wow" again. is that what she says when describing how i sex her up?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not sure how you can get a 260 tread wear and a 360 tread wear tire, and they both claim an "A" traction. If the contis are any indication, a 280 tread wear tire will not hold. My front end is breaking loose all the time now it seems.

·
Registered
635 Posts
get the F1's..i had them they cost me almost 2k..but I got 800 off lol nad yeah i would love to be sponsored by Goodyear...with those tires I could do anything..my car could do anything..never lost trac...was amazing...worth the price of admission

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try to go with Michelin if you can. Go to Tirerack.com and you can specify whether it's traction of noise or snow that is important to you and they will recommend the appropraite tires.

I replaced two rear tires with Potenza RS960 and they're very loud. Believe me, I had never been concerned with tire noise b4 but these babies got my attention above 40 MPH. And you can't ignore it because the noise is loud. It's weird because the stock tires are Potenza RS050, but these are much noisier than the originals (gotta be in the tread patterns).

Btw, Discount will sell you what they have in stock and it may not necessarily be the best tires for you.

·
Registered
749 Posts
How come no one's mentioned the NeoGens yet? I was leaning toward getting a set of those when I get new wheels. Who's got the bad experiences with Nitto?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I can't say enough about them, guess I missed this thread. They are sticky, quiet, wet traction is average, and very predictable as far as breaking them loose. In a climate where there is zero snow or frozen precipitation, with only an occasional hurricane dampening the roadways, they are perfect. I say do it. AND they're 94 each shipped from discounttiredirect.com.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for making me feel good about them again. I don't have to worry much about the snow, ice, rain, or hurricanes. I think we're still barely over an inch of precip this year. I wonder how they'll do in the sand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts