Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there familiar with Nitro Invo Tires?

Currently have 17" stock all weather Michelin tires on my 2007 GTI 2 Door....had the car one month and had the left front tire blow out after hitting a pot hole....last thing im interested in doing is continuing to replace crappy tires one by one with like tires to match what's on the car. Seeking to invest in a high quality tire that provides comfortable, excellent traction in dry and wet conditions, and provides quality performance.

Safe to assume that a wider tire performs better, gives more traction, wears better? What's the widest tire that could be installed on both front and rear w/o causing any suspension / performance issues? Make sense to go to 18" and wider?

Any comments / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Dom - Ill do some research for you, but meanwhile could you comment on my "bent frame?" thread? I also hit a pothole and blew out the front left, and my friend has me worried about my frame. Anyways, can you telle about your experience while i get back to ya?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep....no indication of bent frame....tire dealer mentioned that the rim was bent slightly and that I may want to consider replacing...claimed that i would hear the tire make noise at high speeds....unless he was simply trying to get me to repalce the rims, hadn't heard nor noticed any issues...no noise, car appears to track straight, no steering wheel wobbling / vibration...

re: your bent frame...have you had a mechanic look at it to see to what extent it is damaged - effect on the suspension and driving?

·
Registered
280 Posts
(Not to hi-jack your thread but...) Honestly, I HIGHLY doubt I bent the frame. I hit the pothole going perfectly straight and I was going about 70...all things considered, I felt the GTI took it really well. My friend just has me paranoid about that now. But yeah, I'm taking it into the VW dealership on Wednesday to get the tire replaced (rim looked fine...they'll inspect it further though, as well). When they put it on the alignment rack, I'm sure they'll be able to tell. Anyways, I'm just looking for comments for peace of mind until I take it in. Like I said, I highly doubt anything actually happened to the frame.

·
Registered
273 Posts
going back to the original topic here lol. I would definately go with 18's. Not only do they look better but they add performance as well. You can go with an aftermarket set of 18 x 8" wheels and have no issues. The factory 18's are 7.5" so that extra half inch will give you that much more grip during cornering. As far as tires, I am running Kuhmo Escta (can't spell) and they are great tires. The size I have is the same size the factory uses on the 18's. 255/40ZR18 that same size will work on an 8"wide rim. Any wider and you run the risk of tire rub during hard turing (ie: parking lots). I hope I could help you out in your decision and remember the less unsprung weight the better the car will handle (get light rims 18 lbs or less)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts