Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to how many miles you guys are getting out of the Continental tires that come with the 18'' horse shoe type wheels?

I have had my GTI since August and have put about 4000 miles on it so far. I can already tell the front tires are showing a significant amount of wear.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I've 21000 on the crap known as ContiPro Contact.. and I can't say I drive gently.. BUT I am looking forward to upgrading! Maybe something stickier.. Oh and I am on the 17's

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the 18's and i just hit 10,000 miles and had to buy a new set of front tires.the tread was COMPLETLY gone.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Good to read that they don't last too long. I was planning on wearing the shit out of my continentals this summer and then getting 18s or 19s with really good tires in 2008. I didn't really do much wear to them this past summer, so they're still good and not worth trashing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
remember though my car was in an accident and not fully fixed properly and my allignment was way off for months until someone fixed it too...

·
Registered
352 Posts
tires should last for more than 4,000 miles. but if you like to show off and do burnouts, or launch really hard, the tires are obviously going to wear down first. try rotating your front tires to the back. since it's FWD, the front tires wear down much faster.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Prolly not the most perfect thread for this, but I'm in the ballpark:
Someone explain why you would "stretch" a tire onto a rim please. Making the rim essentially stick out further from the car than the rubber. Thank you

Like this

???

·
Registered
108 Posts
There isnt a point to it really man its for looks. It wont make you go faster or turn better :) Anyways why does everyone have conns on there car mine came with bf goods on it stock and a conni for a spare. ehh whatever.

·
Registered
245 Posts
scottnashley said:
There isnt a point to it really man its for looks. It wont make you go faster or turn better :) Anyways why does everyone have conns on there car mine came with bf goods on it stock and a conni for a spare. ehh whatever.
As Thalo said, they swapped out your tires if you bought it new.

VW has German tires for their German car.

I'd be pissed if they did that, of course unless you somehow got better tires, but that is not usually why a dealership swaps stuff.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thalo said:
Continental is a German company?
Well they are 'Engineered' in Germany.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They swapped my tires.. wtf... i didnt know conni suppose to come on it. Ill change them out in not too long anyways. Its been 2 months already should i say something? im going to grab my phamlet and see if i got the bf warrenty weird. nitro did u mean they trade off for better or worst tires? Id say worst they are h rated junks but bf has a good quality tire also.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You could complain to your dealership. Just tell them you never noticed it before. Maybe you'll get a new set of tires out of it!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Holy flippin crap!!! I just checked my rubber after reading this post and found "A" rated, traction and temp, Bridgestone Potenza's!! (I have 17" wheels) What is the rating for the Continental's that are supposed to be on my precious gem? I would hope AA for both?

Please let me know......I feel like such a schlub for not paying attention to such a crucial part of my fast!!

Man......I'm such an idiot!!! Clunk.....Clunk (head on wall)

·
Registered
245 Posts
22350 said:
Holy flippin crap!!! I just checked my rubber after reading this post and found "A" rated, traction and temp, Bridgestone Potenza's!! (I have 17" wheels) What is the rating for the Continental's that are supposed to be on my precious gem? I would hope AA for both?

Please let me know......I feel like such a schlub for not paying attention to such a crucial part of my fast!!

Man......I'm such an idiot!!! Clunk.....Clunk (head on wall)
On the ContiSportContact™ 2 it is
AA Traction
A Temperature

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having problem when i rotate my tires the feels like a lump in the tire everytime, but in actuality the tread blocks are wearing out unevenly the potenzas did this and then i bought eagle f1 z rated all seasons and after 10k miles (wear down really slow) i rotated them and the rears are worn the same as the potenzas...any ideas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts