Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys?? i have a quick ? everytime i crank up my 07 it has a warning come up on the display that says tire pressure is low but i checked my tires and they are all at 32 psi so what the hell is goin on??? ne info would help thanks....

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you look in the manual or the door panel, it states that 35psi is the recommended tire pressure for the oem tires. Plus you have to keep in mind that its getting colder out there at nights (1 ?2 pounds for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature change).

I have the optional 18 inch tires. The sidewall indicates a max psi pressure of 50 psi. So since its colder out now, I inflated mine to 40psi in the front and 38psi in the back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It does say 35psi on the door panel and the manual but isnt that for the OEM tires fitted on the 17rims. I have the 18..should i still keep it at 35?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
o i have 17" i this you should have more air than 35 specially its getting close to winter time. You dont what less air because you may crack a rim. So i'd put like 37 the most. Im not sure how much you can put in but ask around on

·
Registered
8 Posts
TPMS comes standard with the 18" hufs. It is a standalone option insatlled at port when the car is ordered. If the light is coming on take it to the dealer... 5 year/50,000 mile warranty comes with the car...use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do a lot of short trips (small town living) that don't really let the tires warm up, so I have all of my tires set for 40 psi to keep them from wearing out fast. Tires usually warm up to around 3 - 4 psi higher than the posted cold tire pressure. Increasing the pressure puts them closer to the running pressure. This prevents the tires from getting worn out faster than if I did make more trips that warmed the tires up. It is also a little bit of added protection from chipping my 18" Huffs.

If you do a lot of long trips I would just go 3 psi over the posted pressure for your tire just to give yourself a buffer from cooling temperatures.

·
Registered
398 Posts
blackgti06 said:
o i have 17" i this you should have more air than 35 specially its getting close to winter time. You dont what less air because you may crack a rim. So i'd put like 37 the most. Im not sure how much you can put in but ask around on
Crack a rim!?! That's a new one. ::)

·
Registered
5 Posts
40psi? That sounds exteme. The car with the 18s are firm as I have ever felt at 35psi. I wish I would've got the 17"s due to the smoother (so I hear) ride.

My dealer ripped me. They said mine was a 2007... no tire pressure monitoring, launch, control, etc., plus it has 127 miles on it that were put there by god knows who.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the '06 GTI and it has the tire pressure light on the instrument cluster. It comes on when I start the car. This is normal. I have never had low pressure so I don't know how it reacts to that or how low the pressure has to be for it to work.

As for pressure in my tires, I had 32psi all around for about 10,000 miles (stock 17's). I recently inflated them to 42 in the front and 40 in the rear. It is still within the recommended pressure rating on the tire (max 50psi). I immediately noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in fuel economy. I was getting about 28mpg with the pressure at 32psi and now I'm getting about 35mpg! I love it! ;D This is all highway driving of course.

The higher the pressure is set in your tires, generally, the longer the tire will last. This is assuming everything is straight. As long as you keep your tires within the min/max specs for the tire then you shouldn't have any issues. Yes, this does affect ride quality though. I notice my ride is a little harder with more pressure but I got used to it quickly. The $$ benifits easily outweigh the harder ride.

·
Registered
342 Posts
blackgti06 said:
i dont think i have the tire pressure on my 2006 mkv gti? Does this come with the 07 only
That's right; the '06 GTIs didn't have central tire monitoring as a option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Rabbit Owner's Manual for my GTI (don't ask me why?). But it says if you had Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), you should have a switch in the center console (next to the ESP) to turn it on and off. In fact, the entire section 3.3 for my manual is Rabbit, not GTI. Am I alone?

Well, my window sticker says I have TPMS, but there is no switch in the center console. What do some of you have? Is the sticker wrong or the manual wrong?

My Fast is a '07 MkV.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I too have a Rabbit owner's manual for my '06 GTI. I guess I should have paid more attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
niko597 said:
I have the Rabbit Owner's Manual for my GTI (don't ask me why?). But it says if you had Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), you should have a switch in the center console (next to the ESP) to turn it on and off. In fact, the entire section 3.3 for my manual is Rabbit, not GTI. Am I alone?

Well, my window sticker says I have TPMS, but there is no switch in the center console. What do some of you have? Is the sticker wrong or the manual wrong?

My Fast is a '07 MkV.
I know exactly what you mean. I was convinced I didnt have TPmS since i didnt have the button but it came one morning after a cold night. The only way to "reset" is to inflate them passed the alarm threshold which I'm guessing is about 31psi (which is what my tires were registering at the time). I have the 18" Huffs and decided to inflate 40 in the front, 38 in the back--problem solved. I too have the Rabbit manual. I read somewhere (maybe wrong) that in Europe, MKV Gti = Rabbit GTI. MKV GTI is the name they decided to name it in the US.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mataleao said:
I read somewhere (maybe wrong) that in Europe, MKV Gti = Rabbit GTI. MKV GTI is the name they decided to name it in the US.
True enough. In fact, GTI is a Rabbit on steroid with a different grill. However, we should be entitled to a GTI Owner's Manual. Ever noticed the Technical Data section? It's for 2.5 liters. 150 HP engine - not 2.0 Turbo 200 hp engine. Surely, you didn't buy that engine! 'sup with that? Ever tried playing with the MFD setting? There is a long list of menu in the set up mode that is not explained anywhere. Boy, do I have questions when it comes time for my first oil change? Maybe I'll start another thread about MFD setting ...

I wrote back to the salesperson from whom I bought the car. Guess what!? No response so far. It's been 2 days. Guess what I'm going to say when VW surveys me?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i havent had the light come up. i have an '07 GTI and no button. in the manual i thought that it read, TPMS was only for canadian residents. Which i thought would made sense at the time as i didnt have a button, however, the window sticker clearly lists it as a standard feature. it would of been nice if they added a read out for all the tires pressure at each wheel at the MFD. I doubt it would of cost that much more to program the sensors to output that data

1 - 20 of 22 Posts