Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of things I've wondered about for awhile now and always forget to post questions on:

1. What psi do you prefer to have in your tires? (18" Huffs & the summer perf. tires)?

2. Do you add anything to the tank when you fill up? If so, what additive do you use and why?

Thanks!
-daniel

·
Registered
749 Posts
1. I have the 17's, but I always use the recommended tire pressure for daily driving. +2 lbs for road trips.

2. I use the STP fuel additive once per oil change. That's the one that boosts octane and contains a mild fuel-system-safe detergent to keep the goop down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BlueFrog. I asked about the tires, because mine say max 51psi on the sidewall, but my dealer always puts them right at 37psi when I have my oil changed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah, don't pay attention to the tire manufacturer's maximum; you should never get close to that. I always go with the car manufacturer's recommendation (in the U.S., usually printed on a sticker inside the driver's door.)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
dgm said:
Thanks BlueFrog. I asked about the tires, because mine say max 51psi on the sidewall, but my dealer always puts them right at 37psi when I have my oil changed.
It depends on your driving... I run 35PSI for everyday and roadtrips I go up to 39PSI. (I have the all season tires on 18 Huffs.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put mine up to about 47psi last night and this morning I got significantly better mileage. I do A LOT of highway driving (about 1000 miles per week), so any little thing makes a big difference for me in the long run.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
dgm said:
I put mine up to about 47psi last night and this morning I got significantly better mileage. I do A LOT of highway driving (about 1000 miles per week), so any little thing makes a big difference for me in the long run.
47 is a bit high I think... you are going to put more wear on the tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts