Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone recommend a good tire shine? i use meguiars tire foam and after 7-10 days the tires look old and brown then my friend who works at firestone says it can eventually make the tires "crack" not sure if it's true but regardless don't want it to happen

·
Registered
842 Posts
hervic82 said:
can anyone recommend a good tire shine? i use meguiars tire foam and after 7-10 days the tires look old and brown then my friend who works at firestone says it can eventually make the tires "crack" not sure if it's true but regardless don't want it to happen
I use the Meguiars liquid gel tile polish. I goes on with an applicator, so you don't spray it all over the rim (which in my case has Mother's wheel wax on it). I gotta say, the tire gel works pretty good. It lasts about 14 days here, and we are getting a lot of rain right now. Even when the sheen starts to go, it still has a nice black colour.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't been able to find a tire shine that really lasts..... but I've found the Meguiars hot shine spray (with adjustable spray size) is good, and am using Armor Intense Shine or whatever it's called with the applicator. One thing I know that helps is if you are washing your car, spray some cleaner (like simple green) on the tires then lightly scrub the sidewalls. This helps get all the dirt from inside all the lettering and stuff. Even without any tire shine added the tires look nice and clean and black.....

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
uncle dude said:
hervic82 said:
I use the Meguiars liquid gel tile polish. I goes on with an applicator, so you don't spray it all over the rim (which in my case has Mother's wheel wax on it). I gotta say, the tire gel works pretty good. It lasts about 14 days here, and we are getting a lot of rain right now. Even when the sheen starts to go, it still has a nice black colour.
Same here...I use the gel and it works great for about two weeks. It doesn't shine as much as e.g. the tire foam but it lasts a lot longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ban De Soleil (SP?) used to make a suntan oil that worked wonders. Have natural beeswax in it and had a really nice shine, cant find it anymore.

Cocoa butter works well on a completely dried wheel, not in direct sun. Will need to be rubbed off in about 10 minutes. Will not shine but will give a nice new clean look.

You can always stop at any detail shop and ask one of the guys who they source with. Most are somewhat small and will gladly ship pro products to you, or meet you at one of the places they deliver to. That is what I do. I detail now on the side.

HT

HT

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use Aerospace 303 protectant for tires and black plastics, even the grills. It is like sunblock for your stuff, protects agains UV rays. It gives a rich dark color, not the shiny gangsta look. Lasts a long time and helps keep dirt and grime off too. Available at Pep Boys, Napa (in some places) or online from 5starshine.com

BTW, 5 Star Shine is the way to go for your paint IMHO. Way better than waxing. Check it out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive used the meguirs tire shine in the past,i didnt like it b/c when it would rain down here, it would be gone. right now (and for a long time) i use the black magic tire shine, it lasts thru the rains here in cfl but ive been thinking about switching to the gel just b/c that wouldnt get all over the car when im driving after its been applied

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.