Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I was exiting the freeway in "D" mode. I down shifted into second gear to take the turn using the left paddel. I was paying so much attention to the turn that I was not watching my RPMs. I guess I hit the red line and it changed to 3rd gear. It was still in tiptronic mode cause i could see i was in 3rd gear. ( if it goes back to normal "D" mode the gear is not displayed,plus that takes like 15 seconds, the turn was only like 6 seconds). I dont want to test this again cause i dont want to red line my engine again. I guess this is a safety feature so ppl dont break there car? would it still upshift on its on if i moved the stick to the right and "locked it" in tiptronic mode? Any one else notice in tiptronic when they hit red line it still automaticly shifts?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I've noticed the same thing;

I don't think it can't be overriden (and bounced off the rev limiter).

·
Registered
530 Posts
I noticed it will downshift also, if the RPM's drop too low.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i noticed that it down shifts today too. weird i guess its still automatic but we can select a gear if the speed and RPM will allow it. now i see how ppl with the stick shift do have some advantage as they can hold a gear if they wanted in turns. DSG is faster i know, but for turning the stick IMP has the advantage since they can hold a gear in a turn and not have the car go into 3rd on them and loose control. All my cars have been stick shift besided my last car was a tundra(hated it). I didnt get the stick shift GTI after reading about how cool and fast the DSG was. I was asuming that id be able to hold gears still with the tiptronic in turns and stuff but im not in as much control of the car as i thought i would be. still im getting old and dont want to shift manually any more, so i think i still am happy with the dsg since i mostly drive in traffic anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Well even when I'm in D or S, my gear is displayed so I can't help you there, although yes, there is a safety feature so if you do happen to "not watch your RPMs" as you did, it will up and downshift on it's own. That is in any mode, D/S/Tiptronic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
GTI guy said:
but for turning the stick IMP has the advantage since they can hold a gear in a turn and not have the car go into 3rd on them and loose control.
I would think it would be worse driving a stick and stalling or blowing up your engine on a corner.

It only shifts you if it needs to prevent either stalling or from revving to high.

The cars are pretty much built to make it as hard as possible to damage the car from negligence.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea VW did a good job making the car not hurt its self. :) I like my tiptronic still and would not trade it for a stick. hey we should start calling "D" dult mode, and "S" sexy mode

·
Registered
577 Posts
GTI guy said:
hey, I was exiting the freeway in "D" mode. I down shifted into second gear to take the turn using the left paddel. I was paying so much attention to the turn that I was not watching my RPMs. I guess I hit the red line and it changed to 3rd gear. It was still in tiptronic mode cause i could see i was in 3rd gear. ( if it goes back to normal "D" mode the gear is not displayed,plus that takes like 15 seconds, the turn was only like 6 seconds). I dont want to test this again cause i dont want to red line my engine again. I guess this is a safety feature so ppl dont break there car? would it still upshift on its on if i moved the stick to the right and "locked it" in tiptronic mode? Any one else notice in tiptronic when they hit red line it still automaticly shifts?
Yea, it is fail safe...but consider this....

If you had a stick and are holding a gear at or near redline around a corner...you really arent going to win any races ( as you would if it were a closed course ) by driving that way, too high a gear (especially around a corner ) is pushing your tires to the limits of adhesion, which will result in a loss of traction and a loss of time around the course, if you are shifting in an optimum manner you wont lose time or traction - The DSG does this for you ... yes, its not "purist" but who cares ... i think you will be hard pressed to find someone with a stick who has the exact same HP and suspension setup as you - beating you around a track or anywhere for that matter. Now if you are racing someone with a DSG - good luck :)

Enjoy your DSG - you made the right buy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Well even when I'm in D or S, my gear is displayed so I can't help you there, although yes, there is a safety feature so if you do happen to "not watch your RPMs" as you did, it will up and downshift on it's own. That is in any mode, D/S/Tiptronic.
Yours in an 2007, right? When did you buy it? I bought mine in March 2007, and it does not have the gear indicator when in D or S. I'm wondering when VW dropped that feature. And I wish they hadn't.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Yours in an 2007, right? When did you buy it? I bought mine in March 2007, and it does not have the gear indicator when in D or S. I'm wondering when VW dropped that feature. And I wish they hadn't.
I bought mine in February of 2007. I know mine was one of the earlier models though cause I didn't have the Launch Control enabled. I'm guessing it was sitting on the lot for about 5 months or so. It only had 54 miles on it.. now it has 8,500. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.