My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's supposed to work this way, but when I'm in D or S if I hit the paddles it automatically goes into Tiptronic mode, then to get it out I have to move the shifter to another mode and back to D. Is this right? It took me by surprise the first time it happened as I did not mean to downshift when I hit the paddle.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, it's supposed to work like that. You can use the paddles in any mode. If you are in D or S, you hit the paddle, and you DON'T shift back up/down, it will return to regular D or S mode after 30 seconds or so. If you want to get back into D or S immediately however, you must actually switch into either S or D (opposite of what you were in).

Get it?

If not, play around with it. Put it in D, shift down, and then let it go back to D again automatically after roughly 30 seconds. Or, put it in D, shift down, and then go into S.

You'll see what I'm talking about once you actually do it, hopefully I'm not too confusing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fahrenheit_618 said:
to get it out I have to move the shifter to another mode and back to D.
It's all normal but you can also hold down the paddle that says 'off' to go back to automatic shifting. If i'm in D I'll usually just push it right then left in and out of tiptronic quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
there is a delay after using the paddles before the DSG goes back to normal if your in "D". In Sport mode it stays in the gear you select till you change it or when you slow it down shifts while you break. At least that's the way it works on 428/1200

·
Registered
324 Posts
I left my car in D on the freeway and then shifted down with the paddle, then back up to 6th. Left it there for the entire ride home, over five minutes...it never went back to D and just stayed in manual mode. Busted out the leather manual and it states 15 seconds of inactivity and the car should automatically go back to D.

errr...please tell me I'm doing something wrong...or is my GTI another victim of faulty VW electrical engineering?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Very interesting. Yours must be special. ;-)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My tranny was special.... and its special replacement should be on a boat on its way to America any day now.....(day 10...no word from the boys at the shop...)

Play with it, the manual also says you can "cancel" the tip mode by holding one of the paddles... see if that works. if not, you're doomed...;)

I wish I would have remembered to grab my manual...if I try to get it now, they could arrest me for trespassing...:cool: (i need to get a handle on that "death lag" thing)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I played with it and I think I figured it out. She's always "cancelled" if I hold the upshift paddle...thats what I normally do anyway. As far as the automatic switch back to D mode, it happens (me thinks) when I return to the original gear that I shifted from. So if I was in 5th then shift down to 4th then back up to 5th...wait for about 15 sec...then I'm back on D. Only...it's not always 15 seconds...I was counting. Jesus if it's not one thing....Ima go play around some more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.