Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now starting to fix up my 97 gti vr6, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace my timing chain. I know I'm due for it, but I have a tech friend at vw who offered to do it for a grand. I have some knowledge of how cars work, is it something I'd be able to do myself with no major problems?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I'm now starting to fix up my 97 gti vr6, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace my timing chain. I know I'm due for it, but I have a tech friend at vw who offered to do it for a grand. I have some knowledge of how cars work, is it something I'd be able to do myself with no major problems?
It's recommended to the pull the motor out of the car to do the chains. If you don't, there isn't a lot of room. The trans has to be pulled either way as the chain is on that side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you have some knowledge of how cars work you would know timing chains/belts are a lot of labor. Honestly, you could invest the same ammount of money paying to get your belts/chains changed, as you would buying a complete set up for your garage to have all the tools to do it yourself. Do some research and find a DIY, or a page that explains how to change it.

- forum explaining alot more and how to

The tools needed to perform the procedures are:
1) 10mm, 13mm, 15mm and 27mm sockets or wrenches
2) 5mm and 6mm hex sockets or wrenches
3) spark plug socket
4) large flathead screwdriver
5) torque wrench(es) valid for the range of 89 in-lbs to 74 ft-lbs.
6) VW camshaft locking tool (#3268) or 1/8" metal or dense plastic plate
7) RTV sealant (ultra-grey, sensor-safe)
8) pieces of wood for removing and installing rear main oil seal
9) container and oil

The VW part #s for the parts replaced in this DIY are:
* 021 109 503 D - upper timing chain
* 071 109 513 - upper timing chain guide rail
* 021 109 509 E - upper timing chain tensioner rail
* 021 109 507 B - upper timing chain tensioner bolt (comes with copper crush washer N 013 827 1)
* 021 109 465 B - lower timing chain
* 021 109 469 - lower timing chain guide rail
* 021 109 467 - lower timing chain tensioner rail
* 068 198 171 - rear main oil seal

( this information took me less than 3 minutes to find)

Hurray for ENTERNEWT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts