Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 05' 1.8 the other day and the car just died all of the sudden. I scanned it with my VAG COM and it said I had a bad camshaft position sensor. I changed the sensor but the car still wouldn't start. After I looked under the hood again I noticed that there were about 5 or so teeth missing from the timing belt. Would the timing belt missing teeth cause the valves to bend? I know if it comes off completely that it will bend them, but I wasn't sure if missing teeth would. Also any ballpark on the cost to fix? I'm new here too btw. Thanks for any help.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
yea most likely you spun the cam shaft.

that means you are out of timing and most likely have bent valves

get a used head or remove yours and take it to a machine shop

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just passed 96,000. I called VW and they said that they usually replace the timing belt at 100,000. It's $3000 to do replace the head and $5000 for a new motor.

·
Registered
615 Posts
yea..Unfourtanely it is a pain in the ass when you bend a valves. Like V said, you jumped time and everything went to ****. If you are mechanically skilled you could do it yourself and save the $$. It just takes time. Also I would shop around to have the work done if you go that route. I always get at least 3 quotes when I am looking to have work done. By the way..our cars should have the belt done at 60k miles. the dealer is a lil off.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also ask him how much he could charge if you got your own parts.....go to www.ecstuning.com and see how much the parts will cost you.

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
if it were me id just do it myself. but i learned how to do everything because i had to. like gospdgo says dubs will break you. RX-7 will aswell. im not sure how skilled you are but pulling the heads replacing the valves putting them back on and the doing the timing really isnt that hard. valves will be the hard part on this one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.