Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna make the leap into turbo swapping. I'm looking into it and I found that this kit from 034 is pretty legit in price and hardware. Are there other kits out there that have this kind of setup? I'm looking to expand closer to the 300hp range. I'm trying to take it one mod at a time and slowly as to not get ahead of myself and break sh!t.
Comments and suggestions needed, oh wise ones.

Here is the kit I really like.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K04 can snap rods...
Damn. Well I wasn't planning on building internals til BT but I may go that route at the same time. I know the rods are considered a bottom end build and I can worry about valves and such later. What else should I consider to upgrade/ replace while the bottom end is open?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Rods are the only concern lol just get fresh rings for the pistons and new gaskets call it a day.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rods are the only concern lol just get fresh rings for the pistons and new gaskets call it a day.
Sounds like a plan. Debateable question... Should I stay with the 19mm wrist pins or upgrade to the 20mm? The issue I have with this debate is I cannot find 20mm wrist pin pistons with the 9.5:1 compression ratio that is stock for AWP engines. If I knew about 20mm pistons @ 9.5:1 I would've bought rods and pistons last year. Any insight?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Don't really need pistons, but if you want to swap just be sure you get the OEM 81.5mm bore or you can bore to a larger piston size... I say bore the block to convert to 2008CC (2.0l stroker)

Otherwise just get a set of these

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't really need pistons, but if you want to swap just be sure you get the OEM 81.5mm bore or you can bore to a larger piston size... I say bore the block to convert to 2008CC (2.0l stroker)

Otherwise just get a set of these
Yeah I was gonna go IE for rods. So they don't make 20mm pinned 9.5:1 ratio stock sized pistons(I think it's 81mm) for the 1.8t? Sad.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
034motorsports has pistons in 20mm

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I looked through their pistons and kits. I'm just sad I can't find 9.5:1 ratio 20mm wrist pin pistons. I mean I want to maintain stock sizes and such but have the added safety of the 20mm wrist pins. The closest match they had was 20mm WP on 81mm pistons with a 9.3:1 c/r. Close but not the same as stock.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gti stroker set up? explain to me please.... me interested..PM so i dont thread jack too
It increases the displacement to make it a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 litre. It comes with a crankshaft, pistons, and rods. You'll need to take your engine to a shop for them to bore out your cylinders to 83mm so the pistons fit. I've heard mixed reviews about it. Mise well buy a 2.0t MkV instead.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Yeah I looked through their pistons and kits. I'm just sad I can't find 9.5:1 ratio 20mm wrist pin pistons. I mean I want to maintain stock sizes and such but have the added safety of the 20mm wrist pins. The closest match they had was 20mm WP on 81mm pistons with a 9.3:1 c/r. Close but not the same as stock.
.2 less will be almost no different. Plus with the extra boost it will actually help

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.2 less will be almost no different. Plus with the extra boost it will actually help
Kosher. Thanks Boosted! I'll be updating my build thread soooooon!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kinda numbers should I be pushing with the K04 upgrade?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
300s whp and like 350s tq
Perrrrfect. That's what I want. Considering the extra mods I've popped on and the few I'll be dropping in the near future I may push more. HPFP, 4-Bar FPR, gotta finish the exhaust, Snow W/M injection, and bigger SMIC all need to be added yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
This is strange....EVERYTHING i have seen else where says ko4 is a waste of time, and is hardly an upgrade to the stock k03s unless your stock turbo is blown. Unless you are talking from a TT. The k04-001 is a waste. http://audittmk1.blogspot.com/2008/02/kkk-turbos-k03-k03s-k04-etc.html
Check out that link and look up frankenturbo on google.
It's sort of a waste. If someone wants to keep almost stock like boost response but make some serious tq and keep their pocket thick... perfect Turbo.

Personally I would rather run a gt30 series but I'm not afraid of wheelspin. Lol

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like in the OP I want to make slow increases towards massive power. My BT build isn't going to happen this year for I have too many things like moving and marriage that are going to drain my wallet. Hopefully, though, a K04 conversion will help quinch my thirst for more as I progress though the ranks to mythical power. I'd be happy with like 250-275 at the wheels on a strong K04 setup. I'll probabaly get APR's K04 tune which claims 245hp/275tq on 93 octane. That was with only a TBE. Imagine what other supporting mods would bring it to. I know it's only like 30 horses and around 50 tq but that's not a bad gain for just over $1000. Drop a Snow stg 2 kit on it and you'll be pushing close to 300hp at the wheels, most likely.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts