Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have just started hearing some ticking type noises in my '03 GTI 1.8T when I am coming down from 3rd gear to 2nd to 1st. I also hear it until I get the rpm's up in 1st gear and when I shift into second the noise stops. When I drive down the road I don't hear anything just when I am slowing down. I also don't hear any noise when the car is stopped and the clutch is depressed in first gear. Anyone have similar problems or know what this could be or how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm not sure what your ticking noise could be, try posting up a vid. It may help.

I wouldn't recommend shifting down to first when decelerating though, first is usually only used to accelerate.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Does it have anafter market flywheel and clutch. If you have a light weight flywheel it makes a ticking sound (sort of) called clutch clatter. Mine does just what you said yours does.

·
Registered
168 Posts
funny that you post this. I have the same issue. I have come to the conclusion that its probably my camshaft chain tensioner. There is a forum over on vortex that has a video of the exact noise I have and it ended up being his camshaft chain tensioner. I am going to pull my valve cover this week at some point and looking at it. I was told that if you push on it and it doesnt rebound right away it is bad and needs replacement. Mine is quite loud and a noise I have never heard before. I would recommend doing the same as me and pulling your vc and checking that out. Also check the camshafts for scoring or warn spots. Just make sure if you do that, to replace your valvecover gasket. better to spend a little money to see if thats the culprit than skipping it and sh*t hitting the fan.

·
Registered
89 Posts
funny that you post this. I have the same issue. I have come to the conclusion that its probably my camshaft chain tensioner. There is a forum over on vortex that has a video of the exact noise I have and it ended up being his camshaft chain tensioner. I am going to pull my valve cover this week at some point and looking at it. I was told that if you push on it and it doesnt rebound right away it is bad and needs replacement. Mine is quite loud and a noise I have never heard before. I would recommend doing the same as me and pulling your vc and checking that out. Also check the camshafts for scoring or warn spots. Just make sure if you do that, to replace your valvecover gasket. better to spend a little money to see if thats the culprit than skipping it and sh*t hitting the fan.
I agree with this and I also commented on your other post about the same issue.
Get it looked at because you don't want to damage the valves or head, just a friendly reminder that if valves are damaged you will end up replacing at least 5-10 valves and they aren't cheap either.
Good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Turns out it is my timing belt. Im sure the tensioner is shot because the front run of my tb is extremely loose. If I wanted to I could take my timing belt off just by sliding it. I am ordering a new tb today and will be replacing it myself hopefully in the shop. Should be fun
EDIT: OP try to figure out which side the ticking is coming from. passenger side I would check you tb and tb tensioner, driver I would check your camshaft chain tensioner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ended up taking my car in and having it worked on because I didn't have the VW tool necessary to access the tensioner or chain, and it ended up being the tensioner chain, the tensioner, and I had them replace water pump while they were at it. The technician said the pulley that was holding the tensioner chain was also only a quarter of the way into the motor. The guy that owned it before me had screwed this process up and ended up costing me in the long run. Thanks for your guys help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts