Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cranking up my car in the morning, I often notice a thumping sound coming from what seems to be the rear passenger side area. It's a rapid series of thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump, and then it stops. I only notice it when the car is cold, but it does it more times than not. Any ideas?

Also, my climatronic HVAC system seems to make all kinds of strange noises - clicking, etc. Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
i notice that too. Sometimes in the morning on my way out, I need to get to places pretty quick and don't give my car much of a warm up and I get right onto a service road to a freeway... I keep my my shifts under 4,000 and try not to accelerate.. but at the first stop... when my car is still under 190, i hear a knocking coming from the rear right side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed that in my last car (mercedes ml320) before I had to sell it at 175,000 miles.

I gave it a tune-up, to make sure the SPARC plugs were all firing correctly, and that everything was running alright.

It was a lot better after that for me...

but, yeah... definitely let it warm up before driving.
I let my GTI warm up for about 5 minutes before I leave for work in the morning.

I just take a shower, then start it up real quick, go inside and change, then come back out and go... fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
The manual actually mentions that you should not warm up your car. (Check it)
I've got an '02 GTI. It doesn't say that anywhere.
Maybe they did some funky engine alterations in the new fasts...
What reasoning could they have for not wanting the car to warm up?
It's just running the engine in neutral for a couple minutes to get the engine temperature up to a normal operating level.

I don't get it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All I can say is at least I'm not the only one! The first time I heard it I was like "what the hell?" but it's happened maybe 3 or 4 times after owning the car for over a year. I honestly have no idea either though - really strange

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now that you mention it, I mainly notice the thumping when stopped as well. I wonder if it could be something to do with the brakes?? I've taken it to the dealer but had no luck. It never made the noise while they had it. I guess I need to leave it there so they can test drive it while still cold...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
The manual actually mentions that you should not warm up your car. (Check it)
I'm going to be lazy because I really don't want to go searching the whole manual for this. Do you know what section you read that, or maybe even have the exact quote?

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Booklet (Controls and Equipment) page 92

Do not warm up the engine by running it with the vehicle standing still. Drive off as soon as you start the engine.
This helps the engine reach normal operating temperature more quickly and helps reduce exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

Do not warm up the engine by running it with the vehicle standing still. Drive off as soon as you start the engine.
This helps the engine reach normal operating temperature more quickly and helps reduce exhaust emissions.
It does help reach the operating temperature more quickly, but it also means that you will be driving while at the absolute coldest temperature. It can't hurt to warm it up., but it can hurt to drive while too cold. Whoever wrote that book is a retard.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah It also sounds to me as if your ABS system is going off...that's the sound it makes...Next time you start up hold your foot on the brake, as then you'll know if that's what it is. If you feel the brake pedal pulse a few times, it's gotta be your ABS.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

Awesome Vegas, thanks. Sounds good to me. Probably is a good idea to keep the revs lowish until it warms up though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.