Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the third coil pack within three weeks (each a different cylinder). Almost one week apart from each other. 1st was a Wednesday, then the next Friday, now the next Saturday.... WTF??!!

Has anyone else had any similar problems? Can you think of anything that might cause the coils to go out so quickly and at the same time? I know the previous owner replaced one of them during the 7 years he had the car. Maybe this was the other three... Just seems odd that they all went out around the same time.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
if they where installed at the same time

dont you think they would last about the same time

if they where manufactured under the same conditions and put through the same use

then i would imagine they will fail around the same time

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I would say that you may have an issue with the harness or maybe it was just their time. Stop with the poppables and get some Hitachi-E's. We'll never run nose to nose if your running poppables. ^_^

·
Registered
471 Posts

if they where manufactured under the same conditions and put through the same use

{agree}

why are you only changing one at a time...? shouldn't you be changing all 4...? ???

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That is very possible. I see your point completely, however, many things don't die around the same time even when manufactured on the same assembly line. (I think of computer processors when I say that... The sheet of silicon that is used to stamp them out is thicker and thinner at different parts of it, so CPUs made on the same assembly line will be rated at different speeds, since the thickness of the core has a lot to do with how far it can be pushed in terms of speed and remain stable.) I know nothing of coil pack design, so I won't presume anything at this point. lol

I was more worried that something else could be causing them to fail, however, being that none of the same coils have died, that doesn't seem as likely. I think your reasoning is more sound at this point. ;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say that you may have an issue with the harness or maybe it was just their time. Stop with the poppables and get some Hitachi-E's. We'll never run nose to nose if your running poppables. ^_^
Explain please. How are the Hitachi-E's better in terms of performance? Wouldn't they just last longer or is there something special about them that enhances performance? I'm all ears!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Explain please. How are the Hitachi-E's better in terms of performance? Wouldn't they just last longer or is there something special about them that enhances performance? I'm all ears!!
The E's are held down which ensure no movement under fire. When the engine bucks around under throttle the poppables can shift too, causing a lapse in the connection to the plug. This lapse can actually short out the capacitor built into the top of our coils. They're overall just more reliable. You could always get the ECS coil hold down brackets for a couple extra bucks to do the same thing as bolt down coils... Just saying mayn. ^_^

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why are you only changing one at a time...? shouldn't you be changing all 4...? ???
Sorry I missed this earlier.. I'm only replacing the one that goes out. They are cheap ($25+tax) but everytime it's happen, the store that I happen to be near (or still open) only had one. lol, every single time too... just one.

And, figuring that just because one goes out, doesn't mean they all will logic, I figured I'd wait until another dies instead of just replacing all. lol Just didn't think it would be one week for each of them.

The E's are held down which ensure no movement under fire. When the engine bucks around under throttle the poppables can shift too, causing a lapse in the connection to the plug. This lapse can actually short out the capacitor built into the top of our coils. They're overall just more reliable. You could always get the ECS coil hold down brackets for a couple extra bucks to do the same thing as bolt down coils... Just saying mayn. ^_^
kk, I see, the benefit is them staying in place under heavy load/movement. Thanks for the info, I will consider these when I finally get the funds/parts/etc ready for the BT setup! :)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Hopefully it is just their time. I'd worry if it was the same one though. I wish you the best of luck though bud! Hopefully we can go cruise around later today!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry I missed this earlier.. I'm only replacing the one that goes out. They are cheap ($25+tax) but everytime it's happen, the store that I happen to be near (or still open) only had one. lol, every single time too... just one.

And, figuring that just because one goes out, doesn't mean they all will logic, I figured I'd wait until another dies instead of just replacing all. lol Just didn't think it would be one week for each of them.
ah. crappy luck, i see. lol. well i hope the new set doesn't go out on you haha

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had to replace my coil packs/spark plugs all at once, bc one went out, and then the next week another went out, so I just did them all

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to replace my coil packs/spark plugs all at once, bc one went out, and then the next week another went out, so I just did them all
Well, I guess it's a common occurrence then. I think now my N75 valve is starting to go... Every-now-and-then I'll gun it and I'll only boost to 5psi. If I let off and gun it again, full boost. It's done it a few times in the last three days now. I may try one of the Dahlbahk N75K valves and see if I like it. Hope I don't overboost and trigger limp mode... lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Well, I guess it's a common occurrence then. I think now my N75 valve is starting to go... Every-now-and-then I'll gun it and I'll only boost to 5psi. If I let off and gun it again, full boost. It's done it a few times in the last three days now. I may try one of the Dahlbahk N75K valves and see if I like it. Hope I don't overboost and trigger limp mode... lol
I hope you do! LOL JK.

Are you still at work? I tried to give you a call earlier.

·
Registered
386 Posts
wait, i got a question, were these coils oem ones that blew, if so go get your free ones. If not maybe your spark plugs need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
wait, i got a question, were these coils oem ones that blew, if so go get your free ones. If not maybe your spark plugs need to be replaced.
Knowing Jesse, He just got them because he can't stand a messed up car and wouldn't wait till the AM to get them. Jesse is a night driver so that's probably when they blew on him lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
did you not get the coils replaced under the recall VWOA released last year?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was at night. I was lucky enough (each time they blew) to find an AutoZone open late. And each AutoZone only had ONE left... lolz, talk about luck!

I have three coil packs ready to take to the dealer so they can either refund the money or give me three new ones (be nice to keep a couple in the car for when this happens again).

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
It was at night. I was lucky enough (each time they blew) to find an AutoZone open late. And each AutoZone only had ONE left... lolz, talk about luck!

I have three coil packs ready to take to the dealer so they can either refund the money or give me three new ones (be nice to keep a couple in the car for when this happens again).
It would be nicer if they didn't happen period lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts