Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 gti 127k. loss of power, flashing cel (happened 2 times, flashed about 10-15 times each) now solid CEL. Scanned and codes are:
1. P0300-Random Multiple Misfire All Cylinders
2. P0642-Sensor Reference Voltage A Circuit Low
3. P2004-intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck open Bank 1

Im at 127k so im passed any warranty. This is all coming out of my pocket. I have a new cam follower in the mail (thought the misfires were fuel cuts so checked follower and it was on its way out) I know theres extended warranties and this and that but it no longer applies to me. SO.. where or what should I start with? please give me your best advice I use my car for work every day and this is going to be a massive problem if I dont get it taken care of. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
06 gti 127k. loss of power, flashing cel (happened 2 times, flashed about 10-15 times each) now solid CEL. Scanned and codes are:
1. P0300-Random Multiple Misfire All Cylinders
2. P0642-Sensor Reference Voltage A Circuit Low
3. P2004-intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck open Bank 1

Im at 127k so im passed any warranty. This is all coming out of my pocket. I have a new cam follower in the mail (thought the misfires were fuel cuts so checked follower and it was on its way out) I know theres extended warranties and this and that but it no longer applies to me. SO.. where or what should I start with? please give me your best advice I use my car for work every day and this is going to be a massive problem if I dont get it taken care of. Thanks guys!!!
Take it to the stealership and see if the recall work had been done on the vehicle. I know on mine they changed the coils out due to recall (could be the source of your misfires), and the Intake Flap Motor was also under recall and got replaced which Im almost certain is causing your P0642 and P2004 codes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spark Coils

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Take it to the stealership and see if the recall work had been done on the vehicle. I know on mine they changed the coils out due to recall (could be the source of your misfires), and the Intake Flap Motor was also under recall and got replaced which Im almost certain is causing your P0642 and P2004 codes.
P.s. recalls have no expired warrenty and they fox for free

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
THIS ^

don't waste money when they will fix it for free

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted by Riptide09
Originally Posted by Jsilva970
P.s. recalls have no expired warrenty and they fox for free

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
THIS ^

don't waste money when they will fix it for free
wait wait wait!! the coils and flapper motor are under recall??? i talked to VWOA twice and they didnt say anything about them being on recall they said there was an extended warranty on the cam follower, pcv valve, and flapper motor they said nothing about them being recalled. same with dealership... i spoke with both of them twice. where can i get a copy of the letter stating they were recalled cuz ill print it all out and walk in the dealer guns blazin. they been pullin my chain all this time? what do u guys think will be the best way to go about this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive been reading a lot of forums and these parts arent under recall they are under service campaigns or whats called an RVU, difference being recalls are usually safety features and RVU/service campaigns are basically the extended warranties 10 year/120,000 miles... whichever comes first. I'm definatly out of this range having 127k. this would explain why VWOA and dealers are telling me im not covered with these issues. now another question... Im pretty sure my pcv is shot bc my oil filler neck blew off valve cover while driving. SO... a pcv valve i can replace but will be using a catch can assembly, doing the cam follower was cake (took me under 30 mins to remove and replace), how much of a process is removing the intake to replace the flapper motor? and while the intake is off what is the process for cleaning the valves since im at 127k i feel it more then nessicary to do this. by personal opinion will doing all this in my driveway be a ridiculous hassle or should it be fine? ive been working on cars for about 6-7 years, just VERY new to VW and their complicated ass setups. thanks for the info guys, it really helps!!

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
ive been reading a lot of forums and these parts arent under recall they are under service campaigns or whats called an RVU, difference being recalls are usually safety features and RVU/service campaigns are basically the extended warranties 10 year/120,000 miles... whichever comes first. I'm definatly out of this range having 127k. this would explain why VWOA and dealers are telling me im not covered with these issues. now another question... Im pretty sure my pcv is shot bc my oil filler neck blew off valve cover while driving. SO... a pcv valve i can replace but will be using a catch can assembly, doing the cam follower was cake (took me under 30 mins to remove and replace), how much of a process is removing the intake to replace the flapper motor? and while the intake is off what is the process for cleaning the valves since im at 127k i feel it more then nessicary to do this. by personal opinion will doing all this in my driveway be a ridiculous hassle or should it be fine? ive been working on cars for about 6-7 years, just VERY new to VW and their complicated ass setups. thanks for the info guys, it really helps!!
i have a mk5 catch can setup i can sell u , it comes with everything ull need to install it

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've never cleaned the valves personally but I've seen it done. It doesn't seem particularly difficult, just really time consuming. I'm sure there's a DIY on here somewhere. Catch can install takes around an hour.

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
I've never cleaned the valves personally but I've seen it done. It doesn't seem particularly difficult, just really time consuming. I'm sure there's a DIY on here somewhere. Catch can install takes around an hour.
on a mk4 it does and it sucks a lil bit ... a mk5 shouldnt take any more than 15-20 mins .... mount the can and attach the lines to the can , hopefully by now ur engine cover is off , undo the screws holding the pcv to the valvecover and install the catchcan plate to the valve cover (dont over tighten and strip the screwholes) , measure and cut the lines and connect = done

·
Registered
100 Posts
First and foremost I would replace the coils that way you get rid of the misfires. The intake flapper motor that is causing your CEL I heard is actually ok to drive on, however if you got the money to replace it then why wait, but its good to know that way you dont have to freak out over engine damage until then. The catch can is a great idea and should be one of the first things you buy with these cars, the stock PCV sucks and its an incredibly easy mod, just check out a DIY article on here.

As for cleaning the valves, you could always start with a seafoam treament, there is a great article on here showing how you can have it sucked up through the intake manifold. This isnt the time consuming method of cleaning your valves however its a great first step to at least treat them with a cleaning agent to help break down some of the residue built up on the valves. After that then look into taking off the manifold and cleaning them by hand. All the stuff needed for the seafoam treatment you can get at Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. Also you'll need to change your oil following the seafoam treatment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a mk5 catch can setup i can sell u , it comes with everything ull need to install it
I was gunna wait until after i had the misfires and everything taken care of but if your willing to give me a good price ill take it. Is it used or new, what brand, ALL mounting hardware, ect.. lmk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea engine cover is off (neuspeed p-flo) the catch can seems very straight forward and simple. So ill do the cam follower tomorow when it gets here, then the new coils and plugs http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES2535339/ then ill see about doing the catch can from Teh Chr!s. Sounds like a plan. Any more input about the flapper motor and driving with the CEL? what are the effects of not replacing it yet, loss of power, engine damage, ect. not to worried about fuel mileage as long as no damage occurs. Should i seafoam before or after i replace the flapper? remember i drive 75+ miles per day. thanks for all the help guys keep it comin

·
Registered
100 Posts
yea engine cover is off (neuspeed p-flo) the catch can seems very straight forward and simple. So ill do the cam follower tomorow when it gets here, then the new coils and plugs http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES2535339/ then ill see about doing the catch can from Teh Chr!s. Sounds like a plan. Any more input about the flapper motor and driving with the CEL? what are the effects of not replacing it yet, loss of power, engine damage, ect. not to worried about fuel mileage as long as no damage occurs. Should i seafoam before or after i replace the flapper? remember i drive 75+ miles per day. thanks for all the help guys keep it comin
Supposedly the only symptoms are "hard cold starts" and a slight reduction in MPG. If i were you I would go to a new dealer and see if they replace it. If they seem reluctant just tell them that you've had the car only for about 20k and meant to bring it in sooner but you just havent had the chance (in reference to the 120k coverage). If they do it you might get the new coils too. Either way when it comes to the Intake Flapper Motor you will need VAG-COM service as part of the install. So you may have to deal with a dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Supposedly the only symptoms are "hard cold starts" and a slight reduction in MPG. If i were you I would go to a new dealer and see if they replace it. If they seem reluctant just tell them that you've had the car only for about 20k and meant to bring it in sooner but you just havent had the chance (in reference to the 120k coverage). If they do it you might get the new coils too. Either way when it comes to the Intake Flapper Motor you will need VAG-COM service as part of the install. So you may have to deal with a dealer.
yea i just spoke with my dealer and the guy was cool, not the typical unhelpful dealership a**hole. i gave him my vin and he said there were 4 open campaigns, flapper motor, pvc, cam follower, and DV. also there was an electronic update for the flapper motor to fix the issue, but he said personally the update has a very low success rate and that id prolly be out the $100 it cost to update. he said the new flapper need to be vag-commed to adapt. SO YES DEALER IS NEEDED at least for that (which cost around 100-120). i am not covered under warranty bc they are service campaigns and not recalls, service campaigns were extended to 10 year/120k. which i am passed so it looks like no matter what if your past 120k,, then you aint gettin nuttin' done fo free!! flapper-parts=$200, adaption=$100 totaling $300 if i do the work myself. if they do it its $500. he said i would need a pcv replacement if my oil neck broke off which it did. but the pcv will be catch canned. he said more then likely its the flapper causing the misfires in high rpm, no misfires below 4k. he said if not the flapper then the pvc can cause misfires. lastly it would be faulty plugs or coils. SO... id really like to tackle this myself bc ill save $200 and ill learn how to do it, but the dealer guy said he could have the parts ready and an appointment ready so that i could bring the car in and it would be ready in under 4 hours after dropping it off, im impatient so that caught my attention seeing how most of the time the dealer likes to keep your car for as long as possible. im on the fence about this totally. anyone who has done the flapper please chime in with the difficulty level so i can gauge weather i want to do it myself or blow the dealer haha. but after the flapper ill do the catch can and see where im at. if still misfires then all new coils and plugs, but before coils n plugs ill seafoam & oil change. thanks for quick replies guys

·
Registered
100 Posts
DIY Intake Flap Motor: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...d-Runner-Control-motor-(Flap-motor)-with-pics

And if those are the original coils youre far overdue for replacement. I would have them checked out and replaced if they are the originals. Good luck with everything. And if your DV is original you probably have the old revision and are leaking boost like a mofo. DV replacement is fairly simple and there is a DIY on this site. Forge, AWE, EvoMS, etc all make great DV's.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
DIY Intake Flap Motor: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...d-Runner-Control-motor-(Flap-motor)-with-pics

And if those are the original coils youre far overdue for replacement. I would have them checked out and replaced if they are the originals. Good luck with everything. And if your DV is original you probably have the old revision and are leaking boost like a mofo. DV replacement is fairly simple and there is a DIY on this site. Forge, AWE, EvoMS, etc all make great DV's.
as well as the oem 'D' revision, which is essentially bulletproof and maintenance free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As for the flapper issue, if the "06" GTI's are pzemv ( partial zero emission) the intake manifolds are covered for 150K miles. I was told this by VWOA after I had my second intake manifold replaced @ 30K!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for the flapper issue, if the "06" GTI's are pzemv ( partial zero emission) the intake manifolds are covered for 150K miles. I was told this by VWOA after I had my second intake manifold replaced @ 30K!!!!!!!!!
can someone back this bc that would make my day. i bought the car used so im not sure about the coils or anything, but the car fax showed oil changes every 5-7k and reccomended maintenance performed at 30k, 40k, 50k, 60k, 70k, 80k, 90k, and 100k. that was a big deciding factor in me buying the car. seeing all the service records made me happy [drive]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update: I did the cam follower and reset the ECM yesterday and no more fuel cuts/misfires under WOT. Drove about 50 miles since and plenty of WOT.... so far so good. Will continue with the rest of my plans and ill update.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts