Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as many of you probably can tell, this is the first post I've made as a new member to your site.
My situation is this, I have an auto tragic 2001 Ford focus with 110k. I use it to delivery Jimmy John's to people in office buildings.
I was thinking about purchasing this GTI: Craigslist: 2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8L Turbo http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4131470992.html

Miles are unlisted but I have communicated with him enough to know it has 270xxx and that he will accept blue book value for it. If I'm not mistaken, that brings the asking price of this car to $2500, leaving me with plenty of money to theoretically rebuild and empower this car. I would still have my Focus, so this car could be my project car to eventually become my Wednesday car (I work weekends).

What I really want to know is if 270xxx is too many miles, regardless of price. There doesn't seem to be many 1.8t GTI's of this era in my area, leading me to believe they're solid cars.

Thank you for reading, any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hello, as many of you probably can tell, this is the first post I've made as a new member to your site.
My situation is this, I have an auto tragic 2001 Ford focus with 110k. I use it to delivery Jimmy John's to people in office buildings.
I was thinking about purchasing this GTI: Craigslist: 2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8L Turbo http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4131470992.html

Miles are unlisted but I have communicated with him enough to know it has 270xxx and that he will accept blue book value for it. If I'm not mistaken, that brings the asking price of this car to $2500, leaving me with plenty of money to theoretically rebuild and empower this car. I would still have my Focus, so this car could be my project car to eventually become my Wednesday car (I work weekends).

What I really want to know is if 270xxx is too many miles, regardless of price. There doesn't seem to be many 1.8t GTI's of this era in my area, leading me to believe they're solid cars.

Thank you for reading, any help is much appreciated.
There's a guy on here that just passed like 335K... Still running strong from what I understand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is exactly what I was intending to do. Rebuilding sounds like an awesome learning experience, but I do have a small amount of experience swapping the engine on a 96 Avante.
With the expectation of the motor going out in 30k, is 2000$ resonable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts