Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo valentines day i got into an accident and my RSX is now in the shop...not my fault... my dad offered to buy my RSX sooo im lookin towards a MKIV 1.8T, i found a completely stock MKIV 1.8t with 132k for $4400, is that too much mileage for future modding? lmk thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Yeah I would try to find something with less miles. It will just be better. And make sure that you see that all maintenance and all that was done and done right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would wait because of the miles. Dont know how long you can be without your car but if you have time to wait i would and youll find something wayyy better. Just take your time and do some good researching. oh and unless its a Type S, youll have so much more fun in a 1.8T mark 4 O0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wont have my BASE RSX until the 28th, ive got time, but yea im just really looking for something with boost, sooo tired of this NA business, thanks guys for the input

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was the same way lol once your boosted you will be boosted forever. and yes, M K F4UR

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
That's not a bad price

I would get it, and do the timing belt

After that if the engine was well taken care

You should be set for a while

Using Tapatalk BS

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's not a bad price

I would get it, and do the timing belt

After that if the engine was well taken care

You should be set for a while

Using Tapatalk BS
Hell yeah, before you start modding replace things that need to be replaced, such as timing belt. Maybe the clutch too, if it hasn't already gone out but i think most do around 100k miles. good luck.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Hell yeah, before you start modding replace things that need to be replaced, such as timing belt. Maybe the clutch too, if it hasn't already gone out but i think most do around 100k miles. good luck.
Yes, I'm at 104k and steering stuff are coming up. Minor but they're there. Pull wheels off or pay someone that is known to get legit. Reputable shops are about $100. Mine hashed tie rod ends, the bushings on the left one is bad, I have bad strut mounts as well. Cheap fixes but necessary. Maintenance is ALWAYS before mods.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
steering parts are cheap and easy to do in these cars

even easier if you get a new control arm with new bushings but will cost a little more

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Euro is the way to go man. It's TOTG that you're coming from an RSX cuz that would've been my JDM car of choice. I think the RSX base is better than the Type-S because the 5-spd has a better accel ratio than the 6-spd. Did ALOT of research back when I was looking into it. Only issue was no turbo...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, I'm at 104k and steering stuff are coming up. Minor but they're there. Pull wheels off or pay someone that is known to get legit. Reputable shops are about $100. Mine hashed tie rod ends, the bushings on the left one is bad, I have bad strut mounts as well. Cheap fixes but necessary. Maintenance is ALWAYS before mods.
ha a new saying now MAINTANCE B4 MODzzz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Euro is the way to go man. It's TOTG that you're coming from an RSX cuz that would've been my JDM car of choice. I think the RSX base is better than the Type-S because the 5-spd has a better accel ratio than the 6-spd. Did ALOT of research back when I was looking into it. Only issue was no turbo...
yeaaa if i cant pick up a gti then ill prolly just have to continue with my Base, but actually the 6spd trannies have better acceleration and the 5spds are better for turbo set ups...

but back to MK4's im looking forward to ALOT more torque compared to my RSX, sooo im guessing yall would grab this MK4 for 4400 with 132k?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeaaa if i cant pick up a gti then ill prolly just have to continue with my Base, but actually the 6spd trannies have better acceleration and the 5spds are better for turbo set ups...

but back to MK4's im looking forward to ALOT more torque compared to my RSX, sooo im guessing yall would grab this MK4 for 4400 with 132k?
Work them down more than that. I got my GTI with 102,098 for 4k cash. This was the list of maintenance it had done. There is more that I didn't find paper work of like PCV and tires and other stuff that obviously have been replaced. and 1 owner since day 1.

New clutch kit at 75K
New timing belt at 85K
New battery in 8/2009
New cam adjuster 11/2009
Tension Cam Adjuster and Gasket 11/2009
Valve cover gasket 11/2009
Hose expansion tant to water pipe 11/2009
2x Breather Vacuum Hoses 11/2009
Breather elbow 11/2009
Brake light switch 11/2006
Alignment 7/2007 at 73k
New spark plugs 12/2007
Fuel injector clean 12/2007
Ignition tune up 12/2007
Fuel rail, throttle body clean 12/2007
cooling flange 7/2010
Fuel pump assembly 12/2009
cooling sensor o ring 7/2010
cam follower sensor 8/2010
coolant flush 7/2010 filled with G12
Front pads and rotors and spring kit 8/2009
rear pads and resurface rear rotors 8/2009
Left inner and outer tie rod 8/2009
Fuel Filter 10/2007 before new fuel pump assembly
Crank sensor 7/2010
Coolant flush, green top sensor, seal thermostat, thermostat o-ring 2/2010
cleaned and modified sunroof drains 09/2010
10k maintenance
15k maintenance, gasket and oil
20k maintenance, gasket, oil filter, pollen filter
Contact close relay 2/2008
Starter, starter motor, a tooth belt, d roller, belt dampener, BE O2 sensor, and coolant fill 7/2005
dipstick 1/2007

·
Registered
440 Posts
the best advice to buy a car is, you'll find the right one and the right one will find you. I looked for an mk4 for like 4 or 5 months. i really wanted a 20th but i found mine and i loved it. do a little lookin around on websites and ads. good luck.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
the best advice to buy a car is, you'll find the right one and the right one will find you. I looked for an mk4 for like 4 or 5 months. i really wanted a 20th but i found mine and i loved it. do a little lookin around on websites and ads. good luck.
Same here man, I was on an extremely tight budget but found this one. Kinda high mileage but low for its age. I really wanted a 20th or 337. Just ask Simul... lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would wait, but it depends on how long you plan to have it and how many mods you plan on doing. I waited 9 months for mine, but I managed to be w/o a car for that long while I was looking

·
Registered
471 Posts
try finding one under 100,000 miles. anything above 100k, you should make sure the car is on it's 3rd timing belt and water pump, or else you'll be spending around 300-500 to get that fixed. that's my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Yeah. I agree with all these people and what they have had to say. It would be best to wait

1 - 19 of 19 Posts