Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose of the "S" ? I figured it means sport but when is the best time to use it? Please give all info you know about it. Will it help me of the line if I am trying to race >:D ? I shifted over to it by mistake ..leaving the parking lot..never even realized it was there before and my engine revved higher than normal.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
MSVDUB said:
What is the purpose of the "S" ? I figured it means sport but when is the best time to use it? Please give all info you know about it. Will it help me of the line if I am trying to race >:D ? I shifted over to it by mistake ..leaving the parking lot..never even realized it was there before and my engine revved higher than normal.
It makes the "S" car go :p

S mode changes your shift points to more aggressive shifting, focusing on power (not fuel economy) and keeping you in the power band.

I also use it while decelerating (engine braking) when needed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Drove the interstate today which is something I don't do often. Tried "S" for the on ramp and was at 80 before I knew it. Sounded great too. Had to force myself to put it back in "D" and slow down. Made me realize I'm not getting the real GTI experience in my daily drive to work and back home. I need to do something about that.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Drove the interstate today which is something I don't do often. Tried "S" for the on ramp and was at 80 before I knew it. Sounded great too. Had to force myself to put it back in "D" and slow down. Made me realize I'm not getting the real GTI experience in my daily drive to work and back home. I need to do something about that.
Trackday O0

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dragon said:
Trackday O0
Thats something I've always wanted to do...ONE DAY ^-^ :D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
mattabaziou said:
Dragon said:
Trackday O0
It's usually cheaper than a speeding ticket...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dragon said:
mattabaziou said:
Dragon said:
Trackday O0
It's usually cheaper than a speeding ticket...
and if not... then the insurance bump will definitly make it cheaper. haha... i just got off probation so i can drive without being scared of getting a ticket and getting put back up on charges haha... kinda funny that all my best driving has been while on probation... oh well hahaha.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dude you can't say you just got off pobabtion without saying what you were on probation for!!!

That's just mean!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
resisting arrest, obstruction without voilence, prowling, loitering... and some other stupid stuff... it could and should have been worse... haha. we got pretty lucky. cops gave us a nice little beating too for running for 3 hours. cut my cheek from nose to chin hah.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Daaaaang dude.....next time the clerk at the 7 eleven says:

"This no library, you buy now or leave!" .....calmly put the Maxim down and just walk away. ;D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
haha yeah... we were actually across the street from my friends neighborhood having some drinks and stuff... the 2 kids i was with were rolling too... they almost had a heart attack durning those 3 hours of hiding hahaha. i was the only sober one... donno if thats good or bad :-\

·
Registered
253 Posts
GTfly said:
resisting arrest, obstruction without voilence, prowling, loitering... and some other stupid stuff... it could and should have been worse... haha. we got pretty lucky. cops gave us a nice little beating too for running for 3 hours. cut my cheek from nose to chin hah.
hehe 3 hours. i know someone that go chased by the cops for 3 times :p then ended up in probation...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sport....................
Yeah for the Sport feature!!!
I have an 07 fahrenheit GTI ( < 500 )
My sales person was great. Extremely knowlegable. Fun too.
He took me out and demonstrated Sport.
Heres the gig:
Shift selector to Sport mode
turn off traction control ( ESP )
stand on accelarator
engine reves to 3000 rpm and only 3000 rpm
( if ya have the loud pedal matted hang-on during the next step )
NOW
release the brake.....................................................
This is called "Launch Control"
its more fun than I can explain
not everyone is going to have it
for those that do
Congratulations!!!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Sport....................
Yeah for the Sport feature!!!
I have an 07 fahrenheit GTI ( < 500 )
My sales person was great. Extremely knowlegable. Fun too.
He took me out and demonstrated Sport.
Heres the gig:
Shift selector to Sport mode
turn off traction control ( ESP )
stand on accelarator
engine reves to 3000 rpm and only 3000 rpm
( if ya have the loud pedal matted hang-on during the next step )
NOW
release the brake.....................................................
This is called "Launch Control"
its more fun than I can explain
not everyone is going to have it
for those that do
Congratulations!!!
Definitely!

I started a thread about 8 months ago on that.. had to get my transmission reflashed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
launch control is a blast

as for S mode... in short it makes you effin go like a bat out of hell with no extra work on your part...

for the on ramp stuff... i've hit 110 on a ramp in S mode on a straight ramp without even realizing and i went OH SNAP!!! slowing down now lol

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
i get up in speed quick... 55-85 in like 3 seconds... haha, or that's what if feels like.

i'll be in drive (i do this if i have friends in the car who haven't been before), just minding my own business and about to get on the on ramp... push it down on "S", stomp on the gas... let it go from 6th to 3rd, in about less then a second and watch their heads hit the head rest. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
i get up in speed quick... 55-85 in like 3 seconds... haha, or that's what if feels like.

i'll be in drive (i do this if i have friends in the car who haven't been before), just minding my own business and about to get on the on ramp... push it down on "S", stomp on the gas... let it go from 6th to 3rd, in about less then a second and watch their heads hit the head rest. :D
yea i love that..... when i bought my car once i had it broken in i had a few friends who doubted it had any serious torque for a 4 cylinder..... took them for a few spins around town and up and down the highway... they were begging to drive afterwards hahahahag... my friends are used to my "thrilling" driving so it doesnt even phase them when im going 70mph through twisty roads... its great

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.