Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 GTI MkIV 1.8t i want to know what is the little stopper under the gas pedal. I am not sure, but when i was looking through various sites they say that item is a "soft rev limiter." If someone can help me and tell me what it is and what if i take it off, can i get more power or is it just safe to keep it there??? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
floor it and push the tab down while doing so... haha. the car will go as fast as it can. a lot of cars have this... i think they just put it there so you dont completely floor the car by accident and rocket off into something.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm not positive, but i think i know what you're talking about, my 2001 passat wagon had this too, i noticed that whenever i went past this, the engine downshifted, i had an automatic, and i don't know what you have, but pushing it all the way down gives you full power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking it can unleash some kind of power and if anybody wants to see a picture please PM ME so i can email a picture or something whatever makes it more easier!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The tab is only found in automatics. There is a sensor on there that tells the transmission to downshift and it also helps with go full open throttle by mistake.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
just take yer car out for a spin and smash it down. unless you bought the car used and the person that owned it put a homeade speed limiter on the car then i really doubt it shouldnt be there for some reason. go out and smash the gas down along with the tab.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You have a manual transmission. There is no kick down switch, super power booster blaster button, time warp activator or anything else. It is, simply, a pedal stop to keep you from digging your throttle into the carpet. Leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dont worry it's nothing, i used to have a mk4 as well, it just stops you from flooring it. doesnt really stop you from going fast. it's just there,a nubbin

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes i have an mk4 and noticed the some thing so i took it off and found no noticable differances it is better to keep it on just because if not theres a lil metal thing under it that will dig into your pedal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had one. took it off. no change at all. i threw it away though. so had to find a substitute to cover the metal knob sticking up.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you have a 5 speed and your slammin down on that stopper all the time your doing it wrong haha. It doesn't make a difference.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
If you have a 5 speed and your slammin down on that stopper all the time your doing it Right haha. It doesn't make a difference.
^fixed by a drunken ninja master hahaha floor it and let it go f*ck gas mileage help out oil tycoons in these hard times they need it more then us regular folk :mad:@:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts