My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an MK4 and all my friends love the clutch on my car.......how is it on the V ???? I drove the DSG but i'm really interested in the MT

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I drove a Golf IV several years ago and while I noticed the clutch and gearshift were a lot different than on my MkIII Jetta, as far as I remember it was exactly like it is now on the MkV. Even the positioning of the gearshift is very similar, which I'm not too big of a fan of, as it's a bit too far back. The MkIII VW models had the most perfectly positioned gear shift (at least for me and my ape arms), with the newer models I find it a bit uncomfortable shifting into 2nd, 4th or 6th, because it's too far back and I either need to shift my whole body or twist my wrist as far as it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thalo said:
I drove a Golf IV several years ago and while I noticed the clutch and gearshift were a lot different than on my MkIII Jetta, as far as I remember it was exactly like it is now on the MkV. Even the positioning of the gearshift is very similar, which I'm not too big of a fan of, as it's a bit too far back. The MkIII VW models had the most perfectly positioned gear shift (at least for me and my ape arms), with the newer models I find it a bit uncomfortable shifting into 2nd, 4th or 6th, because it's too far back and I either need to shift my whole body or twist my wrist as far as it goes.
i hear ya on the gear thing but the clutch is light non the less.....i dont mind driving it in traffic at all

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I love the clutch... It's short and not too heavy. The MkIII had a very long clutch that took a lot of getting used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i test drove the mkv and compared to other cars you have to keep the nob pulled towards the left when shifting into second, i didnt really pay attention and the shift nob snapped back to the center of nuetral(under 3rd over 4th). makes sense?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
That's how it should be. If it didn't pull towards the center I'd have a real hard time shifting from 2nd to 3rd or from 5th/6th to 4th. You're not supposed to (or at least shouldn't have to) force the shifter into the third position, it should go there automatically if you push it up from 2nd, exerting pressure at 6 o'clock on the nob (and no lateral pressure, allowing it to slip to the neutral position and then up). Otherwise that would cause a lot of mis-shifting. To shift from 1st to 2nd, put pressure on the 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock position of the nob. Does what I'm saying make any sense?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts