Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i went with the new Forge DV, and now it's installed ready to go. Is there any way to test if i installed it correctly and it's working properly?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Seiky said:
Well, i went with the new Forge DV, and now it's installed ready to go. Is there any way to test if i installed it correctly and it's working properly?
I've had mine in for a few months now. It's easy to tell a difference with a boost guage. If you don't have one though, you should still be able to notice that the turbo doesn't spike like crazy during WOT. It also holds boost longer than the stock DV.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah, I'll be getting my this week. Did anyone DIY this? Or have it installed professionally?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
banditscout said:
Yeah, I'll be getting my this week. Did anyone DIY this? Or have it installed professionally?
I just used the instruction that came with it.....they worked just fine. If I recall correctly, it was about an hour and a half install. The only reason it took that long was I had to use jack stands 'cause I didn't have access to a lift that day. There is nothing difficult about the work....a non-mechanical person could complete it just fine.

Have fun!

Oh and if yours doesn't show up and you want to buy mine hit me up. I'm going back to the SSQV. ;D

·
Registered
530 Posts
22350 said:
banditscout said:
Oh and if yours doesn't show up and you want to buy mine hit me up. I'm going back to the SSQV. ;D
Thanks, now you tell me, installed mine two weeks ago. :'(

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
NVGTI said:
22350 said:
banditscout said:
Thanks, now you tell me, installed mine two weeks ago. :'(
I'm sorry bro...to be totally honest, after thinking about it more, I don't even think I would be comfortable selling this valve...(Least of all to you!)

I am not happy with it at all. I have pulled this thing too many times to clean the piston and lubricate it....its just not worth the pain it causes. I'm not sure if it because I got a first run valve or just a bum unit....its been a nightmare. :-X

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm sorry to here that. I was wondering why you were going back to the SSQV. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and better luck with the SSQV.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
SSQV FTW!!! >:D
i still never had one problem with mine 8).. except it flutters kinda funky :/ is there a way to adjust it a bit?? i dont think its opening enough to let my boost out... i have gotten tweaked the wastegate since so im not really worried anymore but would still like to work with it a bit.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
i will replace mine with the forge unit, once i get the chip mod that is. so, it has to be cleaned on regular basis? how often? it seems simple enough to do from the instructions, just need to get some wheel ramps or something. i just dont want to have issues with it. maybe every oil change? less or more frequently? are there other alternetives? will the new stock "C" variant hold up to the pressure?

and also, what is this WOT you talk about? im sure its an abreviation for something, didnt find nothing on yahoo though.

thanks ;D

·
Registered
280 Posts
zeonic said:
i will replace mine with the forge unit, once i get the chip mod that is. so, it has to be cleaned on regular basis? how often? it seems simple enough to do from the instructions, just need to get some wheel ramps or something. i just dont want to have issues with it. maybe every oil change? less or more frequently? are there other alternetives? will the new stock "C" variant hold up to the pressure?

and also, what is this WOT you talk about? im sure its an abreviation for something, didnt find nothing on yahoo though.

thanks ;D
WOT = Wide Open Throttle. I'm also curious on the recommended cleaning schedule. I just got mine installed a few weeks ago. The tuner I bought it from said I'd only need to do it once or so a year, but I'd like to get some more opinions on that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah...I was told it as once a year as well, that has not been the case. The problem I have is a weird flutter / rattle every month and a half or so. (At first I thought I had screwed up the turbo.)

The main housing keeps spinning loose on its own regardless of how I tighten it or even put blue loctite on it. It has yet to get all the way off because I can hear when it starts to move. Once it starts I obviously lose boost as well. I get all kinds of residue from my crappy PCV on the valve too. That means it gets crap all over it and in it when it gets loose.

It is not super difficult to put the front end up on jack stands, pull the vacuum line that leads up to the splitter, pull main housing cover and piston off the valve, clean them up and put them back together. It is however a pain in the ass to do it as often as I have to.

In Forge's defense, I have not contacted them to get a new part or for potential solutions. I have not read anyone else complaining of the same issues I have on this or any other forum either so I am just a lucky one. Forge makes a good product for the most part so don't be discouraged by my problems.

True to form the valve has not blown like my other (2) stock valves. The performance of the Forge valve is nothing to get excited over....but at least it doesn't tear up!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
GTfly said:
SSQV FTW!!! >:D
i still never had one problem with mine 8).. except it flutters kinda funky :/ is there a way to adjust it a bit?? i dont think its opening enough to let my boost out... i have gotten tweaked the wastegate since so im not really worried anymore but would still like to work with it a bit.
I know the flutter you mention all too well.

I was told not to mess with the SSQV as it was not designed to be adjustable....I left it alone after that. O0

Can you PM me with your wastegate tweak? Pretty Please? I'll be your best friend!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I know there are a million other threads on this, but searching, i can't seem to find any....What are the other "normal" issues people are having with the forge? I feel like I'm screwed if I do screwed if I don't.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As luck would have it i found it three days after I ordered the Forge.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts