Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got to test drive the GTI MK5 today both the DSG and manual.

First the DSG, it's way better then I thought. It feels fun and when I used the launch control man it smoked those tires good.:eek: Down shifting was way smoother then some similar type automatics I have used in other cars. I thought this system would be great for left foot breaking but the brake is too close to the throttle and it gets kinda cramped to do so.

The manual was kinda flimsy, not sporty at all. But it was way easy to shift and was able to smoke those tires even better doing a launch.[flame] I have read somewhere that the brakes go so deep under hard braking that it makes it really hard to heel & toe. But did not get to try this one out.

I love how the car handles at low speeds, like how it pulls it self out of tight corners on low gears.

On highway driving it didn't feel so good, especially when I floored it from 40 to 70 mph. I felt allot of torque steer and the suspension was so floaty that it kinda freaked me out. But once I got up to that speed and was cruising just going straight it was nice and comfy.

The brakes and ABS work nice for full braking, but they seemed way to mushy and felt like they had very little performance to do real fine breaking.

The interior seemed kinda simple and especially the dash board did not appeal to me that much.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
HD- When the car is dropped an inch w/ coilovers it makes a world of difference.

As far as the brakes go... they are good, but if you plan to do any performance driving they need to be upgraded. I'd love to find a set of MkV R32 brakes, but may end up w/ stoptechs or brembos. As far as aftermarket brakes, they are minimal improvements in stopping distances, but the improvement lies with elimination of cooking the brakes/ brake fade issues and feel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts