Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken off the resonator off their stock exhaust or know any information about how to? If so, I'm interested in doing it with my GTI and if anyone can, post images and tell me step by step on how to. I just want a nice cheap way of getting sound on my car while trying to save up. Thanks to anyone who's helping =D

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is a good question, I want to know as well.

Also, does this affect the legality of the car (will it still pass inspection)/ does it void the warranty?

Is performance enhanced or is it purely for the sound?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you can tell us how it's done and one day I'll have someone do it for me...who's certified or a professional :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
DiS oNe GuY said:
Maybe you can tell us how it's done and one day I'll have someone do it for me...who's certified or a professional :)
it would prob void the warranty on the muffler ...... but i dont think it matters

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Volkswagen dealerships here don't care. I asked them to put the parts in for me and I paid labor charges, haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got this done the other day and at the same time had them do a Cat back and put a magnaflow in the void where the resonator used to be and had them remove the stock muffler. I'll just say that the $2300 sound system I had installed is now obsolete. I do nothing but drive around with the windows down and everything quiet in the car so I can hear that beautiful engine and the turbo sing their sweet chorus. I also broke up with my girlfriend last night because she talked while I was driving... Not really for that reason but I did break up with her, so now I don't have to even risk having her talk. ;) . The whole system cost me $400 with the labor, custom bent pipes, manaflow and removal of the old stuff. That's pretty cheap and the job and welding was just amazing. I have a cheap muffler guy here who is pretty much the coolest human being alive.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
jumpsuit_joe said:
Got this done the other day and at the same time had them do a Cat back and put a magnaflow in the void where the resonator used to be and had them remove the stock muffler. I'll just say that the $2300 sound system I had installed is now obsolete. I do nothing but drive around with the windows down and everything quiet in the car so I can hear that beautiful engine and the turbo sing their sweet chorus. I also broke up with my girlfriend last night because she talked while I was driving... Not really for that reason but I did break up with her, so now I don't have to even risk having her talk. ;) . The whole system cost me $400 with the labor, custom bent pipes, manaflow and removal of the old stuff. That's pretty cheap and the job and welding was just amazing. I have a cheap muffler guy here who is pretty much the coolest human being alive.
Can you please post pics? I know it will probably be a pain and near impossible to get a good shot. I am trying to figure out what I want to do and I think you may have a winning combination. Did the Magnaflow you had installed come with new tips or did you just cut off the stock tips and straight pipe to them? I know its a lame question but I can't find find a Magnaflow system anywhere near as cheap as what you got yours for and that doesn't even count the install.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
The magnaflow was just the muffler. It was a lower end one, but I really didn't mind since it was sitting two feet back under my car. From that point they bent pipe around to where the current muffler is, then did two 90 degree bends straight out to where the current dual tip is. He bought some cheapo stainless steel tip to put on... It wasn't dual anymore. The bends were 3 inch pipe and this guy is a magician with welding. If you're gonna get it done by a muffler shop, ask to see some of his work on cars that are up on the lifts when you go in. If you can see that the bends and welds are clean then there shouldn't be a problem. I'm gonna have him do some more work on my car here in a week or so. When he has it up on the lift I'll try and get under there and take some pics. It looks freaking sweet and wouldn't mind doing that for you. It's gonna take a while though. In the mean time... Go to a mom and pop muffler shop, not master muffler or any big chain like that and have him work out what you want with you and him under the car. Talk to him and tell him what you've heard before and tell him the price I got... I'm looking at my receipt and I'm a bit off it was actually $480 before taxes... which is still great. The guy should be cool enough to get you all the parts and everything for that ballpark price. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer so clearly. I am moving in the direction you suggested. I'll post pics as soon as its done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Roughly how much does it cost to get the resonator cut off? Will VW do this? Or am I better off going somewhere else? And does it void the warranty? Thanks

-Adam

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I'm very seriously thinking about doing this. I want a bit of a deeper throatier sound. But I'm afraid it will sound too loud at idle and normal driving speed.

[youtube=425,350]NjIjtJLE9eY[/youtube]

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i cant tell if i wanna get it done or not...... arghhh

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
i mean for like 40 bucks i wanna do it... and then I guess if i don't like it for another 40 i can get it welded back on right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts