Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
10bv01 said:
i would think front, its a front wheel drive car, thats my opinion though i dont know the facts about it
lol no. rear sway bar since the back end is more likely to go out on you since its FWD.

rear sway only. Scotaku over @ golkmkv had a good calculation.

Overkill is the wrong word.

For what improvement a better rear bar alone will make, bumping up the front bar too will more than likely bring the car back to where it was with the stock bars. Does that make sense?

1 + 1 = 2 and 1 / 1 = 1

2 + 2 = 4 but 2 / 2 = 1

2 + 1 = 3 while 2 / 1 = 2

You're not looking for the sum of all parts, but the product. :D
alf

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
blackgti06 said:
getting my neuspeed rear sway bar put on today at 330 ;D
I know this is an old thread, but how does it feel with the rear sway bar? Any improvement? Anyone else running sway bars?

Thx. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah the GTI has some understeer, to counter that I'll be geting a rear sway in the near future so I'd also love to hear some feed back from peeps that have them install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
oh defentely im thinkin of it too... anyone can tell me exactly where the sways would go? the back one somewhere in the trunk? and the front in the engine?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
scans007 said:
yeah the GTI has some understeer, to counter that I'll be geting a rear sway in the near future so I'd also love to hear some feed back from peeps that have them install.
I drove the project car at my shop. It did not have the rear sway bar but did have a few other things I would consider before the sway bar.

These are the dogbone and motor mounts. Your ride will be a bit rough for a week while the dampers settle but after that you can feel everything. The road and car are one, its pretty amazing. When you are that connected to the machine and the road the understeer isn't as much of an issue. (Unless you are over 110mph and then the stock set up is pretty squishy.)

I am going to tweak my suspension a bit before I do these but after driving a car with them I was sold. They will be done within' the next 3 months (Please don't tell my wife I said that.)

Now all I have to do is decide what to do for the suspension!

·
Registered
277 Posts
^ Great info man, I'll def look into those....Motor mounts are always a PITA to install, I wonder how these are to install...

As for sway bar location, I think you are mixing up sway bars and strut bars...a simple explination is

Strut bars go in the top of the engine bay and/or in thte trunk they attach to the top of the mount points for the spring setups and look like this (this is a front strut):

Sway bars go under the car and basically run along the axels and provide firm support to eliminate some body roll keeping the car more flat around corners

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't know if anyone else happened to catch Sport Compact Car magazine's February 2007 issue, but they had a face-off of 4 GTI's that were modded in two weeks by various reputable companies. Every single one of them ran 24mm in the rear, and 26mm in the front. Sounds like a good setup to me. I'm getting the H&R's soon.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
What's the stock sway bar size? I'm thinking about making this my next mod before the chip but after my springs. What would be a good size and what's the cheapest but good quality I can find?

·
Registered
530 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
What's the stock sway bar size? I'm thinking about making this my next mod before the chip but after my springs. What would be a good size and what's the cheapest but good quality I can find?
I just purchased a H&R 24mm rear sway bar, will try to install it this weekend and let you know what I think afterward. It was $215 plus shipping here: http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=71750.24

·
Registered
530 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
The stock sway bar was slightly smaller than the H&R 24 mm, but the H&R is much heavier. I think I read somewhere that stock is 22 mm. I haven't had it out to test it yet, but I'll give it a good test tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
NVGTI said:
kryptonkid07 said:
I just purchased a H&R 24mm rear sway bar, will try to install it this weekend and let you know what I think afterward. It was $215 plus shipping here: http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=71750.24
Thanks NV... Definitely let me know how it goes. I'm going to install my springs today... hopefully! A friend of mine says he can do it for me at work. He works at a BMW dealership and installs springs all the time. He's only going to charge me 40 bucks plus filling up his tank. :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
NVGTI said:
kryptonkid07 said:
Thanks NV... Definitely let me know how it goes. I'm going to install my springs today... hopefully! A friend of mine says he can do it for me at work. He works at a BMW dealership and installs springs all the time. He's only going to charge me 40 bucks plus filling up his tank. :)
i hope he doesnt drive an original hummer... haha

·
Registered
530 Posts
Install was a piece of cake, the most difficult part was threading the old one out and the new one in over the exhaust. This took a little patients and luck. Other than that 2 nuts 4 bolts, make sure you have a set of torx bits, if you have 12 point torx that would be better, but I used 6 point. You will need a T50 for the four bolts.

I haven't taken the time to fully test it, sorry but Halloween parties and hangovers, plus I discovered that I did sloppy work and had to go back and tighten two of the bolts late last evening. But the initial impression is that it has made quite a difference, much flatter around corners, ride quality is nearly the same. So far I think this was a well worth the money mod.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts