Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Search is my recommendation. There are a few threads about them here.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the three (3) companies you have named it doesn't matter IMO.... However, really do a search as threads do exist with your specific question... Geeezz.. we just spoke and I believe you have officially caught the bug.... Now, what you really going to do with those sport bikes, especially that insane BMW S1000 RR... lol..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BMW is staying until I master it or at least get some track time up at Summit Point Race Way (http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com). It is hard to part with a bike that puts the same about of HP to the ground as a stock GTI but ways less than 400 lbs. I still have to get to the point where I am building my own custom programs and not just using the preloads. I'll search threads for the sway bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll look thru the othe other threads. I have the BMW S1000 RR. It's just getting stupider as well. My buddy and I decided last week that it needs the HP Race Calibration Kit along with the on board data logger so we can start to build maps.

How cool would it be if VW promoted this type of functionality with the GTI?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll look thru the othe other threads. I have the BMW S1000 RR. It's just getting stupider as well. My buddy and I decided last week that it needs the HP Race Calibration Kit along with the on board data logger so we can start to build maps.

How cool would it be if VW promoted this type of functionality with the GTI?
Just what you need, more go fast stuff for that 2-wheel devil -- you might as well sleep with rattlesnakes -- Enough said: back on subject before the moderators freak... yes, do look at the other threads, some good info other than just because I said..... lol..

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you choose APR sways then buy the Hotchkis sway bars from Tire Rack (cheapest price I found). Hochkis makes the same sway bars for APR and powder coats them red, Hotchkis are powder coated black. Call tech support to make sure of fit for 2012.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you choose APR sways then buy the Hotchkis sway bars from Tire Rack (cheapest price I found). Hochkis makes the same sway bars for APR and powder coats them red, Hotchkis are powder coated black. Call tech support to make sure of fit for 2012.
Thanks for the tip on that. Definitely looking into that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I figured they are just bars of metal, so I went with Eibach front and rear arms. Got them off tire rack for 363. 26mmF, and 23mmR, they are cold-formed from high strength aircraft grade steel. They definitely help, my car rolls a lot less in turns. It feels like it goes on three wheels when going in and out of somewhat steep parking lots and such. Although it did this before as well. One thing that is a little annoying is the creak they create. I guess it's to be expected with a stiffer chassis though. Hope you're happy with whatever you get!

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
I figured they are just bars of metal, so I went with Eibach front and rear arms. Got them off tire rack for 363. 26mmF, and 23mmR, they are cold-formed from high strength aircraft grade steel. They definitely help, my car rolls a lot less in turns. It feels like it goes on three wheels when going in and out of somewhat steep parking lots and such. Although it did this before as well. One thing that is a little annoying is the creak they create. I guess it's to be expected with a stiffer chassis though. Hope you're happy with whatever you get!
If they are polyurethane bushings you need to get grease and grease them. That will stop the creaking. If they have a grease fitting than use a grease gun and grease it.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
You really shouldn't get a large sway bar in the front.

For a GTI the rear is the only sway bar tht is needed you can do the front if your already dropping your subframe but other then that the the larher rear is more important.

Sent from my EVO 4G

·
Registered
52 Posts
ALL OF THIS BELOW IS COPIED FROM "THE BRUCE" ON THE GOLFMK6.COM FORUM :

I got a PM asking about front sway bars and my answer might be of general interest:

I know many guys recommend a rear sway only, but I strongly believe they are wrong.
I tried it all on my own: stock sways, 24 mm rear and 28 + 24 mm front and rear with
all possible settings. No doubt both bars was best by far.
Possibly most guys never tried both bars and they parrot half-whisdom on the forums.
A common misconception I believe.

A front sway will reduce overall roll much more than the rear sway, improve steering
(in feel and quicker), turn in and make you car feel more stable. On the other hand it
slightly affects traction on bad roads, but not necessarily on good ones. I was wonde-
ring my self that I didn't have any increase in understeer. I even prefer the stiff setting
of the 28 mm front bar.

To make things short: If you already have a 24 mm rear sway I strongly recommend
at least a 24, 25 or 26 mm front sway bar.

We were talking about this already here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120841

(Keep in mind: Mk.V chassis = Mk.VI chassis)

THANK YOU "THE BRUCE" FOR THIS INFORMATION

·
Registered
396 Posts
it depends on the feeling your going for then i suppose.

Large/stiffer front will put more force on the rear wheels in hard cornering.

I have both sway bars replaced 27mm rear and a 25mm front and just about every mount and link to them upgraded also. Adding the front really didnt make a huge difference when adding though just adding the rear body roll was greatly reduced

from my testing i wouldnt worry about the front unless you already have a reason to drop the subframe..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the ecs set and absolutely love the results. The car stays flat and turns in so much more crisply. I highly recommend it. The front comes with new brackets and bushings and I haven't had any noises in over 1000 miles. It's a fantastic upgrade. I did not try just the rear but the searching I did indicated that swapping both was worth the hassle.

Ecs has ****ty (read none) instructions other than their video which is incomplete and does not apply if you're removing the stock bar. I also had to unbolt the rack to get it out which made putting it all back together a challenge. In the end I've been so happy with the results that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Prob took me 4 hours on jackstands.

I say definitely do the pair in the interest of keeping the car flat and balanced. Mine is a joy to drive now.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
dada,

were these sway bars added in addition to coilovers? I noticed a huge difference in flat cornering with just adding supersport springs and plan to get coils next Spring. I'm just curious if the sway bar addition is a big difference from just coils. I've waffled on sways for a while, but since the roads where I live are not great and I drive in lots of sh!tty conditions, I'd prefer to keep the advantages of independent suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have vogtland springs and stock struts & shocks. I don't know how coilovers would affect things and as suspension is a system, every little thing counts. For me the sways made a huge difference. Had I put the koni shocks, that I'm planning on, on prior to the sways maybe the difference would have been less pronounced. No way to know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.