Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
969 Posts
10bv01 said:
would it be possible for us to see who gives us our karma points?
I know several boards that show who gives karma. Not a good idea. Usually ends in members being banned because they get mad that a certain person gave them neg karma then they start retaliating. Revenge escalates and you have a severe problem.

If anyone feels they are not being treated fairly with karma, let me know. IF I find that you are being targeted or screwed with, I'll readjust your karma and warn the perpertrators. Next Time I'll ban them.
FF

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been to boards where you can only see who gives you positive karma. It has kept things mostly civil.

I, personally, am not a fan of karma in general. People tend to go out of thier way to get karma points just so they can be the user with the most karma. Thankfully no one here has started that crap, I'm assuming it's mostly because our users are smart enough to realize that a few bits of data don't make you better than anyone else.

· Registered
969 Posts
I'm not a big fan of karma either, but we're talking about something that people have or will spend over 20k on. It gives new members and guests a way to judge who's information is reliable. of course if you have 8 negs and 1 pos and saying that the gti is a rattling piece of junk, most will take your statement with a grain of salt.

Karma just keeps information correct. It also keeps flaming down. members on a board tend to not flame when they know several people can give them neg karma.

I'll see if there is a way I can change the script so it will show who is giving positive karma.
FF

· Registered
395 Posts
DrJones said:
Thankfully no one here has started that crap, I'm assuming it's mostly because our users are smart enough to realize that a few bits of data don't make you better than anyone else.
Not that I'm keeping score at home but FF does have you beat by a point! ;)

I'm with you on this karma thing. I hope you're right and nobody abuses the rating system.

· Registered
969 Posts
There's no mods for smf to do what you're wanting, but I'll play around with some code when I get time and see if I can get it to work. I've got a test site that I tinker with so I can try new things without screwing up the boards. So we'll see.

· Registered
346 Posts
As the list of new members seems to be growing daily, I've noticed a lot of the new guys posting threads covering material already discussed. Would it be possible / difficult to create a search feature for key words (e.g. "side marker," or "price")? This would cut down on at least some of the Recent Unreads.

· Registered
346 Posts
10bv01 said:
dean, my friend, there is a search feature. the bar at the top of the page, "HOME, FORUM, HELP, SEARCH, PROFILE, CALENDAR, LOG OUT"
Jesus, then there really isn't any excuse. At first I thought it was laziness. Now I guess it has to be stupidity.

How about a stickied bolded thread called READ THIS - RULES detailing do's and don'ts, like flaming, posting in the wrong forum, de-railing, circle-jerks (that's what PM is for), etc.?

· Registered
749 Posts
If you can get to it; I'm not as interested in who smites me as I am in what comment I was smote (smited?) for. I was wondering if that could be added anywhere like when I read my posts from my profile. Just a little ticker with each post that tells me I got -5 karma for that dumb comment (applauds too).

Not that I don't think I deserve smiting every once in a while, but I at least like to know what I said that got the forum all in a rumble.

Ultimate would be to require a PM-type comment with each smiting. Could be anonymous, but encourage the smiter to comment on why.

· Registered
856 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
If you can get to it; I'm not as interested in who smites me as I am in what comment I was smote (smited?) for. I was wondering if that could be added anywhere like when I read my posts from my profile. Just a little ticker with each post that tells me I got -5 karma for that dumb comment (applauds too).

Not that I don't think I deserve smiting every once in a while, but I at least like to know what I said that got the forum all in a rumble.

Ultimate would be to require a PM-type comment with each smiting. Could be anonymous, but encourage the smiter to comment on why.
Don't get me started, I completely agree. I think there's actually just one culprit who is a bit disgruntled and goes around giving out negative karma to get back at people/ piss people off. Many of the people that have negative karma do not deserve it at all. It's getting out of hand quickly, and it really shouldn't.

FF, maybe we should just disable this feature altogether, that way nobody gets upset about negative karma.

· Registered
969 Posts
Let me see what I can do. The reason for the karma was so people would know when and when not to follow someone's advice. But like you said, It is getting out of hand. I get at least 5 PMs per week asking who smited them. Hell, I don't even know who smited me.
FF

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.