Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic explains our brakes aren't all that great. http://abdracing.com/Merchant2/merch... ode=50.BBMK5 im probably going to get those but i rather get another brand that is good performance wise and that offers me a better price. link,name and prices of the brakes would be appreciated, [help] [help] [help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I saw a "how to install" article for a new big brake kit in a tuner mag this week, I don't remember what mag though, I'll go back and pick it up. The company that wrote the article manufactures the custom aluminum bracket to mount the calipers to the MKV. The brake kit was a Wilwood, I don't remember what series for the brake kit or the mounting bracket companies name...I'll find out though. ;)

Here's the Wilwood site at least...I'll follow up when I know more:
http://www.wilwood.com/

The thing I didn't like was the install called for the ABS sensor to be capped off. (The ESP is still active though.)

·
Registered
530 Posts
manricky said:
yeah but it's the same price roughly.
You spent $1000 on a FMIC, plus butt load of cash on other mods to go faster. Call me crazy but $2500 to get 3000 pounds of metal moving at 160+ MPH stopped with a quicknes doesn't seem that bad. [suicide] :wtf2:

·
Registered
635 Posts
baer brakes also kick ass...but if you want the best get carbon ceramic brakes..lol but to afford that you'd have to sell your GTI

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NVGTI said:
manricky said:
yeah but it's the same price roughly.
You spent $1000 on a FMIC, plus butt load of cash on other mods to go faster. Call me crazy but $2500 to get 3000 pounds of metal moving at 160+ MPH stopped with a quicknes doesn't seem that bad. [suicide] :wtf2:
lolz ummm im going to get them but im trying so see all my options. fmic is probably one of the best mods i have done my car is so efficient and it looks sexy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That FMIC does look bad ass! ;D [jacked]

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, i saw your pics. And the pics from FM. They look great! [gti]

·
Registered
530 Posts
manricky said:
whats the ss lines steal something? om not sure lol
[/quote
SS=stainless steel

·
Registered
606 Posts
manricky said:
As the topic explains our brakes aren't all that great. http://abdracing.com/Merchant2/merch... ode=50.BBMK5 im probably going to get those but i rather get another brand that is good performance wise and that offers me a better price. link,name and prices of the brakes would be appreciated, [help] [help] [help]
I would allocate the huge amount of money you'd be spending on a Big brake kit and put it somewhere else. Sport Compact Car Magazine had an issue that came out in February 2007 that had 4 respectable tuner companies go head-to-head in modding out a GTI in 2 weeks. ABD, APR, H&R, and VW. In it (more specifically page 57, last paragraph), it says "More surprising is how the tuners did on the brake test---each finished within one foot of the stock GTI's best stopping distance of 117 feet. Are we disgusted? Actually, quite the opposite. Despite all teams running R compound and aftermarket brake upgrades, we were impressed that the tuners were able to meet (ABD)---or in some cases exceed (H&R)---the stock car. Call us cynical, but our testing experience often shows that while tuners can almost always improve on power/torque delivery and cinsequently acceleration and lap times, they rarely beat stock cars when it comes to our brake tests."

ABD met the stock's stopping distance and it had 349whp and 309ft/lb.
H&R was the only one that beat the stock's stopping distance and it had 217whp and 217ft/lb.

So aside from external looks improving, I really don't see the point in forking over all that money for a dismal "improvement." The farthest I would go is throw in some slotted rotors and ceramic pads so I wouldn't have to clean my friggin' wheels so often!

Peace

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank you. I think the brakes are fine, or at least good enough to not shell out the large cash to upgrade them "a little". But then I might be a little biased.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts