Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was going to swap out the stock speakers and add a 4-channel amp for them, but after testing the ohm loads on all of them, they're great to begin with (at least for the 2006 model).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
debo said:
what hu are you using?
Unfortunately stock cuz of the DVD Nav

·
Registered
223 Posts
How is the Sub box mounted...or does it just move arround in the trunk.

And how hard was it to mount the amp to the back of the seat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
[help] I have fiited a JBl 12" sub with a Earhquake amp to drive it. I cant find a power source to connect the remote wire to. All the points I have tried seem to be permanent power. I have tried both the cigarette lighters , but that is also permanent power. Any idea where I can connect the remote wire to so that the amp will swith off when the key is removed???

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lumpypumpkin said:
How is the Sub box mounted...or does it just move arround in the trunk.

And how hard was it to mount the amp to the back of the seat?
The mounting wasn't hard at all. You just need an electric drill and a few self-tapping screws. The sub and the box are heavy enough where it doesn't move around too bad. I haven't had to strap it down yet.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTi 4 Life said:
[help] I have fiited a JBl 12" sub with a Earhquake amp to drive it. I cant find a power source to connect the remote wire to. All the points I have tried seem to be permanent power. I have tried both the cigarette lighters , but that is also permanent power. Any idea where I can connect the remote wire to so that the amp will swith off when the key is removed???
Try running the wire straight to the inside fuse box (driver's side dash panel). There should be a fuse you can wrap a wire around there. I normally install sound systems myself (I should post pics of my old civic's setup), but I just didn't have the time when I first bought the car so I had KarTunes of Sterling, VA install it. They used some module that would trigger the amp to turn on when the volume reached a certain level. The reason being is that the radio can still play while the car is off, so if you don't have the module, your amp won't be powered unless the key is in the ignition (it's not a necessity, but it's a nice feature).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
GEEEZ!! So much for practicality of trunk space!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just got a 12 in Type-R hooked up in my UG and it matches the car perfectly, the color of the sub is the same as the exterior of my gti, oh and ofcourse the red writing matches aswell. check it out

oh and notice the Avic D3 head unit ;D

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I WANT THIS!!!

A member of a local forum I'm part of did this to his Audi A3... I love it so much. It's so stealth. And you don't lose the functionality of the hatch. I want a sub and stuff... but I don't want to lose all that space in that back. I use it A LOT. I'm always carrying junk back there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those custom installs start adding up real quick. I wanted a shop by my house to make a fab'd box of 8.3 cu in of volume space for this 12" Rockford Fosgate I had bought and they said $250, his quote was "Wood is expensive these days." have any of you ever been to any brand lumber supply yard? 30$ tops for a sheet of 3/4 MDF, the same stuff they would use. Also, they start racking up the price by adding parts you don't need. Like in that pic from Krypton kid, the Capacitior by the amp, is at least a 1 farad cap, and that Amp, not sure, but doesn't look like its over a 1000w. If your amp isn't pushing a 1000w+ a cap is USELESS. It will do you NO good and just adds to your price of install. So be careful and DIY is pretty easy with custom jobs for subs. Most lumber supply yards will cut the wood to exact specifications for you, and if you find the right guy will even do the math for you. Then its just laying down the wiring and not breaking the moldings.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I don't know how it sounds. He's in Australia right now... so I doubt I'll be seeing him at any meets soon. And I'm thinking he did it himself. I gotta go look up the thread again to make sure.

I think I might do this sometime down the line.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah I'd like to eventually do a custom enclosure as well. I love the way my system sounds now (I sealed the box, bass at about half) - it's very clear and accurate, and makes for an enjoyable ride when I don't want to beat my way from A to B. But, the box just takes up too much damn room....

·
Registered
181 Posts
cheap way outa the custom encloser get your own amp and wireing and buy the jl audio stelth box it fits under ur spair tire. and its like 300 bucks so if u pick up a cheap amp and install ur self its a custom hidding enclosure for under 5oo bucks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts