Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently decided to put a new sound system in... Well a sub because I found out the speakers are riveted into the door. It's ok because those little suckers seem to be able to put out a lot of sound if no bass is used. The problem I have with subs are thatthe boxes take up room in the car. I came to wondering if I could just use the trunk, as a whole as the box (back seats, trunk door, car sides, and trunk cover). This would allow me to keep almost all of my trunk space. I was thinking of putting two 12" subs into the trunk cover. I was wondering if this will work sound wise and if the trunk cover will hold/stay? And if so what brand should I buy? Budget is around $100.

**I have an amp and wire

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Im my opinion, its not worth getting 1 sub for $100, much less 2. U should look into finding a used bazooka tube or some other smaller form factor sub with enclosure. I think someone on here recently mounted a sub or 2 in the trunk cover so thats up to you if you want to do it. However, you will want to get subs specifically designed for free-air movement which is going to cost.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
there was a guy that did it a few months ago

but he used some special sub that can be mounted on the lid/shelf

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
there was a guy that did it a few months ago

but he used some special sub that can be mounted on the lid/shelf
Yup. There are a few subs out there designed to work in a free-air environment. IMO though they will never sound as good as a sealed or ported box.

J, I only mentioned the bazooka tube because the OP's budget is $100. I do agree that they arent very good as far as sound quality, but anything for $100 or less is going to be the same...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing is that I do not need a ton of base to shake houses to the ground. I just need it to keep up with the stock speakers. I have found a couple of used JL, Boss, and others. I am not sure which are that good. I am going to go get a piece of plywood to put in place of the trunk cover for now and see if the sound is what I am looking for. That way I don't have two giant holes in the back =) I'll post pictures and keep everyone updated once I start. For now, which should I consider: JL, Boss, Dual, etc?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
JL for sure. That sub J linked would be perfect if you make your own box as he said...

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
IMO go to walmart

get a $40 box and a $60 sony or pioneer sub and you should be good

i have and old sony xplode and a walmart box and its more then enough for me

i crank the bass down on the OEM radio so the speaker just produce mids and highs and i think it sounds rather good

thats just my .02 cent

im going down to a 10" since my bag setup is taking up a lot of room together with a 12" sub box

·
Registered
256 Posts
yeah, j and nuggzie are right... skip the whole hatch thing... they will sound awful, even compared to a small sub and small box... and the free air sub will probably be way more than the budget... i would also agree that bazooka tubes aren't ideal, but honestly, for a hatchback, and for what they are... it's not a bad option. i just put one in a jeep a few weeks ago and was actually surprised at how much better some of their newer ones are sounding like actual small subs... so that's my suggestion for cheap bass... no amp needed, smaller gauge wires can be used, not much trunk space is needed... by far the way to go on a budget

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As everyone has already stated, you don't want to mount the speakers outside of a box. They're designed specifically to be in an enclosure. Physics play a lot in the role of producing good quality bass (or bass at all in some situations). Think about how we humans have always made sound louder, we create a type of enclosure to project or amplify the sound (take a non-electric megaphone and how it amplifies and directs the sound). If you stand in certain sized rooms, you can really hear the differences that those enclosures make on the sound.

You can test this in your own bathroom. Stand in front of the mirror and hum a lower bass note and pay attention to how it sounds, now start moving your head down towards the sink as you continue to hum (keep your mouth pointed at the bottom of the sink), you'll hear the bass get louder and more solid as you move closer. Raise your head again so you're pointed to the mirror and you'll hear the bass volume drop back down.

That is exactly what will happen when you mount the subs on a flat surface with no box. It will not have the necessary enclosure to amplify the lower frequencies and it will sound very dull and will not produce enough volume to hear the lower notes properly.

Trust us bro, we've all been there and tried that... ;) If you don't want a LOT of bass, a decent 10" (the JL's are extremely good quality subs) in a small box will still hurt your ears without any problems. More is not always 'more'... Good luck!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Without a box it's not a "speaker" it's just a driver.

Does make me think that if the hatch cover was reinforced well enough, you could mount a box to it with a hole in the top.
Might save some lower space, but you wouldn't want to lift it with the hatch.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts

Does make me think that if the hatch cover was reinforced well enough, you could mount a box to it with a hole in the top.
Might save some lower space, but you wouldn't want to lift it with the hatch.
buy AAA, remove spare, build box where spare was.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well, the subwoofer itself is the driver. In speaker-land, the driver is the sub, it doesn't specify whether it's in an enclosure or not. As a teenager, I used to study speaker/enclosure design. I was interested in all of that stuff before I ever got a car... lol. I wanted to beef up my home-stereo to get as much bass as possible, so I started studying how it all worked. I never went anywhere with it, but I did learn a lot about the physics behind it all. You wouldn't believe the amount of 'science' that goes into designing subs and enclosures...

·
Registered
245 Posts
You wouldn't believe the amount of 'science' that goes into designing subs and enclosures...
Sure I would. I built my first system for my 1981 Rabbit, around 1986-87. I didn't know my ass from my elbow back then. I know a little more now.

For anyone wanting to understand the real deal on audio, this site, (below) is as best as I can tell, the definitive source for research on the web.

The link is to the speaker page, but there are tons of categories listed on the home page, more to learn than you can shake a sub-woofer at. ;)

http://www.bcae1.com/

·
Registered
36 Posts
When it comes to sound u need cabbage u can't have good quality sound with out money and with it mountaid to the hatch door it won't sound as good as if u had the sub facing the hatch door so it reflects I have 2 10s in a sealed box and they sound great if u won't good sound u have to sacrifice

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
The thing is that I do not need a ton of base to shake houses to the ground. I just need it to keep up with the stock speakers. I have found a couple of used JL, Boss, and others. I am not sure which are that good. I am going to go get a piece of plywood to put in place of the trunk cover for now and see if the sound is what I am looking for. That way I don't have two giant holes in the back =) I'll post pictures and keep everyone updated once I start. For now, which should I consider: JL, Boss, Dual, etc?
Jl is better than boss or duel

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sure I would. I built my first system for my 1981 Rabbit, around 1986-87. I didn't know my ass from my elbow back then. I know a little more now.

For anyone wanting to understand the real deal on audio, this site, (below) is as best as I can tell, the definitive source for research on the web.

The link is to the speaker page, but there are tons of categories listed on the home page, more to learn than you can shake a sub-woofer at. ;)

http://www.bcae1.com/
Ah, nice, thanks for the link! :) I'll peep this later when I have some time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This whole thread gives me the same feeling as when I read a 'BOV vs. DV' thread. The bottom line is that you want to go with something that sounds good to you... Because you are the one who is going to have to listen to it day in, day out. You also have to realize that you typically get what you pay for with audio equipment. If you want something that is small and sounds good, expect to pay a larger premium for it. My personal favourite is the JL 13TW5. It's a 13" driver speaker that has a ridiculous low profile - and it only requires a sealed .75 cubic foot box. Nothing more, nothing less. The downside is you can expect to pay about $400 for the driver, but for it's size it's worth every penny. From my experiences, all the 'budget' low profile drivers sound 'fwappy' and have no oomph behind them. They have hardly any excursion, they have paper cones (which break) and you'll be lucky if you find one with a voice coil. If you're going to do your system, you might as well save up a bit of green ($400 isn't much) and do it right the first time... Then you don't have to upgrade later down the road. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a $70 150W RMS sub pushed with a an AMP that delivers 140W RMS and it sounds RIDICULOUS !! Anyone and everyone that gets into my car is blown away by the quality and the volume.
I did fantastic on a low budget.

Does spending more money make for a better sound system ? Absolutely. That's pretty much universal for any subject. Is it necessary to spend rock-star cash to be very satisfied, and to impress your buddies ?
Definitely not.

MY ENTIRE sound system, didn't break, $650 and I'd put money on it's quality and volume standing up to sound systems that cost, twice to three times as much.

I wish I could let you guys hear it. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.