My Fast GTi banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So this is kinda an odd question, i do realize this could have been asked on a tire forum, but my relationship with fastgti is good. So here we go...

What do people think of studded tires for the winter? I have an option to get the same tire with or without studs for the same price. I have heard stories of people with studs not being able to stop very well on roads where no ice or snow exist. I live in Denver where on day its sunny, the next days there is 6"-10" of snow, not to mention the out of city driving through the mountains to go board. I have also heard that studs create a lot of vibration that puts strain on the car over time. I understand that if your getting winter tires your wanting them for the grip aspect not performance. So i would not expect to stop as well on winter tires stud or stud-less on pavement as something rated for performance.

6"-10" is not so bad, but plowed/packed/frozen and more snow over and over is not fun.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
137 Posts
get the studs. Studs are always way better in the winter time. I live in Grand Junction, CO on the other side of the mountains and it gets pretty squirly on the ice without studs. Now, i have tried studless, extra siped tires on other vehicles and they work well, but studs are still the best for ice in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
It really depends on the weather- if you are going to have 5 months of snow and ice on the roads get the studs.

The last time I lived in snow country I ran non-studded winter tires and chains when needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts