Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering the idea of chopping out the suitcase muffler right under the driver seat and replacing it with straight pipe. MY thinking behind this is a cheap mod i could do very easily. While i know this will yeild almost no performance gains w/ out an ECU flash, i still think girls will hop in my car and take there clothes off ( more then they already do) if the car sounds better. Has anyone done this or found anyone out there that has?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
louie2077,do the mod in reverse,remove the large muffler in the rear and keep the small one under the drivers seat. its a straight through muffler and your car will sound alot smoother. don,t forget the turbo is in front of the cats so the sound will not increase by much. good luck,and NjoI.... ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are they really both just mufflers? It strikes me as odd to have 2. I would expect the small one is really the catalytic converter?

Also taking off your muffler usually
1. is illegal
2. will give a small benefit to hp because the engine can breathe better

At least 2 used to be true. Not sure with the turbo in the line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought it was 2 cats and a muffler? not 1 cat and 2 mufflers.... ? i cant seem to get the naked girls in the car thing to work... guess it doesnt help im engaged and live 2200 miles from my fiance ;/

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
intrikit said:
I thought it was 2 cats and a muffler? not 1 cat and 2 mufflers.... ? i cant seem to get the naked girls in the car thing to work... guess it doesnt help im engaged and live 2200 miles from my fiance ;/
... you live more wiles away from yer fiance then i have on my car so far haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not ilegal to remove a muffler unless your so loud that your over noise ordenance. It is illegal to remove the cat, however i dont really care. At the very least i want to achieve less wieght however minimal it would be.

·
Registered
398 Posts
louie2077 said:
Its not ilegal to remove a muffler unless your so loud that your over noise ordenance. It is illegal to remove the cat, however i dont really care. At the very least i want to achieve less wieght however minimal it would be.
Take a pass on the super-size burger and fries instead of taking your catalytic converter off. You'll have problems down the road - just mark my words.

If you're looking for a light car sell your GTI cause it is heavy to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i,m back, theres 2 cats,1 pre and 1 secondary, you do not need to remove these, they are high flow and are very good. and yes there,s 2 muffs, to keep down the rapp that some cars give off, but like i said in my other post removing just the rear muff will make your car sound more sporty, and not cheap or loud. plus it will save you some coin,s..............

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
dont hurt yer baby! would you cut something off yer kids vocal cords to make them be able to scream louder???.. i didnt think so

·
Registered
1 Posts
there are 2 mufflers, and although directly under the drivers seat there is a catalytic converter, further back there is a resonator followed by the "suitcase" muffler. I'm planning on removing the suitcase muffler myself, as it seems the resonator should muffle the sound enough so that removing the suitcase muffler would give it a sporty, less-restrictive sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts