Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy i have just bought a 04 GTI 1.8t and im new to this stuff. I was wanting to go with a straight pipe exhaust, i love the deep throatiness it has and how you can hear the turbo spool. I was wondering weather or not this would be a good idea just until i can afford a full turboback exhaust. And if i were to do it how much would it cost and where would i be able to buy a straight for my car. Any reply is much appreciated Thank you.

· Registered
134 Posts
Well it is not harmful to the car when you run a striaght pipe but the problem is thath the stock downpipe isnt that big so im ot really sure about how it would sound but it would depend on diameter and length of what you get put on. everyshop ranges in price also for the labor. Like dragginframe said 80 thats about right but call some local muffler or custom car joints around you. try to avoid name brand places like firestone or whatever because they will just rape you on price.

· Registered
8 Posts
I had my muffler removed by a shop up by me and I have a 3" catless downpipe sitting in my room waiting to go on. If you went that route, you'd get a nice sound. I think a full straight pipe would honestly be too loud. Keep the resonator in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
75 Posts
i have an 01 1.8t and i got rid of the muffler and resonator and it sounds terrific and it gained a bit of kick too. thats what i would recommend. dont cut the cat off though then your running a bit low on back pressure and it will be an extremely dirty noise haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.