My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone can clear something up for me. I have a Sirius subscription in my Jeep @ the moment. I will be transferring it to my GTI when i take delivery. To my understanding the option from the dealer is connecting using an FM modulator, IE: external unit....atleast that's the what the dealer explained. I really don't want to have an external unit. I also do not want to replace the whole stero head unit at this time for something aftermarket.....WHen I searched around here, it seems that some people have sirius on the stock radio, with a Sirius receiever located under the passenger seat. So this says to me that the stock unit must have some type of AUX plug in the back of it. So, can someone clarify for me....Does the stock unit have an Aux or SAT input in the back or not??....I really hope it does,...=),..thnx

·
Registered
7 Posts
o2world said:
I was wondering if someone can clear something up for me. I have a Sirius subscription in my Jeep @ the moment. I will be transferring it to my GTI when i take delivery. To my understanding the option from the dealer is connecting using an FM modulator, IE: external unit....atleast that's the what the dealer explained. I really don't want to have an external unit. I also do not want to replace the whole stero head unit at this time for something aftermarket.....WHen I searched around here, it seems that some people have sirius on the stock radio, with a Sirius receiever located under the passenger seat. So this says to me that the stock unit must have some type of AUX plug in the back of it. So, can someone clarify for me....Does the stock unit have an Aux or SAT input in the back or not??....I really hope it does,...=),..thnx
If this is an 07/08 the Sirius module is under the passenger seat. The antenna plugs in here, the module is connected to the head unit NOT FM modulated. Sirius should be just another mode along side FM and AM.

If your dealer is using some type of plug and play or DCU the is FM modulated that is not a factory install. Check the antenna on the car it should be the shark fin. If there is no shark fin then again not a factory install Sirius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ell, i've pretty much answered my own question. I went to the dealer today and spoke to the parts guy. Him and I were looking on the computer. Seems there are in fact 2 different radios,..one for sirius, and one other...Duh,..I kinda thought that,....it's just the sales people at VW really have no idea. Anyway...I'm trying to figure if it's just better to get nice pioneer GPS/DVD/Sirius touch screen radio, or go for the factoy radio Sirius ready. Thnx for the help =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Pioneer is really nice. It is very solid from a software perspective. My only complaint is that Pioneer uses pretty much the same software across all platforms, so instead of taking advantage a better display it's the same as the low end. It's a small matter.

I haven't looked into any Alpine to see if they fits, but if you are going to get Sirius and Nav you may want to look at Alpine. Alpine has a unit that uses Sirius data service which gives you speed and flow, construction and traffic incidents displayed on the Nav unit.

VW will also offer a similiar factory unit that has, nav, traffic data and Sirius audio. I think it will be out in Feb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts