Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their stock exhaust on an MKV? I am trying to install the APR 3" turbo back and I want to do it myself because the shop wants almost $400 to do it and I have done some exhausts before so I do not foresee this one being a problem. My question is has anyone done it that can give any tips or advice to make it go smoothly or things I should watch out for? Thanks....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well i got it on. Peace of cake except be careful unbolting the downpipe from the turbo because i broke the studbolt in half and spent many hours trying to get it out. Only one issue now though...what to do with the stock exhaust? If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have contacted a few salvage yards but no one wants to give me any money for it. My car only had 5200 miles on it before i took the exhaust off. Just let me know if anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ekoch said:
Alright well i got it on. Peace of cake except be careful unbolting the downpipe from the turbo because i broke the studbolt in half and spent many hours trying to get it out. Only one issue now though...what to do with the stock exhaust? If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have contacted a few salvage yards but no one wants to give me any money for it. My car only had 5200 miles on it before i took the exhaust off. Just let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Find a place to store it, then when you sell or trade in the car, you can put the stocker back on and sell the new one 8)

At least that's what I've done with my last 3 cars....

·
Registered
54 Posts
how did u install it? did u have a lift? I have no idea what places have lifts where im by so idk how to install one

·
Registered
54 Posts
I talked to a shop this morning that my dad know of and they said they can do it for me aslong as theres no welding need to be done. The one im looking at is the GHL andi thinks its bolt on. ANyone knows about it??

·
Registered
277 Posts
jodaho said:
I talked to a shop this morning that my dad know of and they said they can do it for me aslong as theres no welding need to be done. The one im looking at is the GHL andi thinks its bolt on. ANyone knows about it??
Direct bolt on, no welding needed O0

·
Registered
193 Posts
my dp was only 60 to get put on......... I couldnt imagine the muff section would make the install take alot longer......... The turbo flange is the hardest part i wouldnt attempt it without a lift....... how many shops did u try? 400 is WAY too much

·
Registered
832 Posts
$400 is way too much, I talked to my local shop and was quoted $75 sight unseen. I am assuming once they get into it it'll go up a little but can't imagine that it would go any higher than $150.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
about $150 is what i was quoted for a full TBE install. did my DP all by myself. wish i had me a lift, but jack stands work just fine. as long as you have half a day set aside to screw around, no reason why you cant get it on, right tools help too O0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts