Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This DSG is very interesting to me, I can't help but get a little tired of clutch work in traffic and it seems like the best of both worlds. I'm trying to figure out how long it would take me to regret it if I bought one, or if I'd regret it at all.

So do any past stick drivers regret feeling that empty space where their left foot used to go?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I grew up driving old 5-speed BMW E30s, so I definitely enjoy driving stick. But the DSG is awesome in every way. Stuck in traffic? Put it in Auto mode. Winding road? Use the paddles. The shifts are really fast and sound amazing under hard acceleration. It really is the transmission of the future imo.... but decide for yourself.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
moestock said:
So do any past stick drivers regret feeling that empty space where their left foot used to go?
I used to only drive manuals back in Belgium, since I moved to the States, nothing but automatics - DSG is the best of both worlds, but I do miss the clutch a little (my left foot/leg is not getting its work out) - and by the way, Tiptronic is nothing like DSG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I see one person wants their clutch back, please explain why if you would sir.

And I do plan to test drive both of course, however, my question here is to see if people are missing the stick shift after the novelty of the DSG paddles wears off. I've heard of a few who got bored of it and regreted not getting the stick. As of right now I'm pretty much sold on it.

Honestly I've never been a fan of hatchbacks, might have something to do with my Moms old Pacer, I hated that thing at a very young age, always breaking down, spitting antifreeze all over my new nikes! The DSG is what made me start cosidering a GTI and the more I read about it the better it seems, reliability problems aside. Once I get over the fact that there is no "trunk" I'll be good, but I got all winter for picture starin'.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I test drove both as well and ALMOST bought the DSG. But, I'm a purist. I love having absolute control over my transmission at all times.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Had my car since July 6 - and I am not tired of the DSG...and I don't think I ever will.

See.....in the morning when I am super sleepy and have to drive to work, I will put it in automatic.
The rest of the time, it's in manual mode.

Unlike most of the DSG drivers, I use the 'stick' to shift up and down, since I am just used to having my hand there anyway. (In my previous car I had my hand on the automatic as well, funny, although I couldn't shift)

The paddles are Ok in straight line driving, but when you take sharp turns, they are useless to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my DSG, it makes sitting on the 405 in the morning bareable.

Has anyone put it in sport mode and used the paddles to get into temp manual? Its nice for fast straight lines, or moderate turns.

p.s. I don't miss my clutch at all after buying my fast.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I test drove both as well, and ended up with the manual so I can't really help you in this thread. I like the control of the manual, plus my wife didn't want ANY kind of automatic.

The only advice I can give you is to spend extra time with the DSG before you decide. The test drive is stressful enough, and my mistake was trying to use the paddles from the get go. In hindsight, I should have got used to the car for 10-15 minutes, then tried the paddles. I got frustrated with them really fast, and not knowing what gear I was in was also frustrating - the whole thing was stressful. So take your time!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
The paddles are Ok in straight line driving, but when you take sharp turns, they are useless to me.
That's strange to me. I always thought that the paddles were more for the twisty stuff, since you get to keep both hands on the wheel. What you said about using the stick pretty regularly is one of the reasons I didn't get a DSG. I didn't like having to push over and just moving up and down felt so weird. I doubt I ever could have gotten used to it. Now if they made a DSG without a clutch but with a fully functional 6 speed stick... I'd be all over that. :D

Uncle Dude, I think you're absolutely right about the paddles. I tried to use them right away and I couldn't get into it. I think they are something you have to ease yourself into once you're comfortable with the car, and then you'll love them.

The other reason I didn't get the DSG was I felt that it had some issues trying to downshift going thru turns. It felt really lagged and slow. It's been talked about on other threads. Some people have said they were troubled by it, and then other DSG owners said that they've never noticed any such thing. I'd definitely put one thru it's paces on the test drive to make sure you'll be able to live with it. You'll probably love it. But I'll throw this out there... test drive the manual too. The shifting on it... I don't know. I just love it. The steering wheel and the shifter are the best in any car I've driven, and the combination is heaven.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Test drove both. Got the DSG because it was such a better deal, plus I have a Boxster to play with. Now I'm sold on the DSG. VW has a great thing going on here.
Asked this guy at a garage why he riding a horse when I know he can buy a car. Said he's a 'purist', ain't going to have no car tell him when to shift, he wants to have control, thus the horse. Further down the street was this rich guy walking. Asked him why he was walking...'Well, I'm a purist' So I asked why not get a horse? He said no 'purist' would ever get on a horse, no-sah. He wants control. He wants to feel the road, thus he walks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well Clay, like you said...you have your Boxster to play with. Unfortunately, I'm a soon to be college grad and I only have one car. I'll stick to my 6-spd GTI to play with.

·
Registered
888 Posts
also with the manual your driving inept friends cant hound you to let them drive your fast cause they wont know how. anyone can drive a DSG

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I absolutely adore the DSG. I'm a long time manual only man, but the DSG is truly remarkable and like nothing else that any of us will ever be able to afford. It's also brilliant driving in heavy traffic with. I thank my lucky stars that I don't drive a stick anymore when I'm gridlocked. Shifts are faster, ie the car is faster, with no real parasitic loss that normally accompanies an auto tranny. I say go for it, just my 2c.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Talked with a policewoman the other day. The training they go through is amazing, almost makes me want to apply !!
She's driven the DSG and was very impressed. As far as
;also with the manual your driving inept friends cant hound you to let them drive your fast cause they wont know how. anyone can drive a DSG
goes, well, most drivers think they are above average, as I do. Truth is most are average. Anyone can drive fast but few drive fast well.

·
Banned
890 Posts
FastAddict said:
Well Clay, like you said...you have your Boxster to play with. Unfortunately, I'm a soon to be college grad and I only have one car. I'll stick to my 6-spd GTI to play with.
Hey, I'm an old fart, I get to have more toys! If I were just getting out of college I'd be mighty happy with either! I was just trying to say that as much as I love manual, the DSG has really grown on me. Keeps surprising me at how much fun it is.
It's weird because my left leg sometimes forgets!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the manual but now with an hour commute to work in the morning and another hour back home again I have wished on several occasions I should of got the DSG, but it don't loose sleep over it anyway.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.