Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at changing out my stock stereo. When I went to check it out the guy at the local audio place said since the GTI stereo is amplified if you get a solid head unit (50Wx4 channels) you have to remove the amp and do a full rewire, which he said is 400 bucks. First of all, this seems like way to much for a rewire. Second, I could be wrong but it doesn't seem necessary.

I feel like I could do this on my own but was wondering what people had to say about it. I might be missing something but couldn't I save the 400 bucks, run some new wiring down to where the amp is and connect it to the new head unit? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i work for best buy mobile installation and i would not recomend just getting the harness and doing it like that. mofo must have got luck that it worked. it is not good to do it like that because most of the time it wont even work at all or it will cause problems down the line. just go down to best buy and they can rewire the factory amp for like 120 buck instead of 400, i dunno what place you go to but we do alarms for cheaper than that. or you can just take out the amp anr run new speakerwire, thats not too hard either. but just remember NEVER hook up the blue wire on VW stereo harnesses. just capp them off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
on a similiar note, being i dont feel the need to start a new thread to ask my question.

I hear that the antenna is amplified or something to that extent. thats why on the antenna adapter theres the 12v wire im assuming. Now i have mine connected to a 12v source and my FM signal is still horrible. Im lucky to get any stations sometimes.

Am i probably going to have to swap out the wiring for the antenna or the amplifier to make it work properly...i can live without FM i have my ipod playing through my alpine deck, but it just bothers me that its not working haha. I figure if your going to change stuff then they better work right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
weird, i've tried that, i've tried plugging it into another 12v source as well.

Maybe its the antenna thats entire antenna itself thats having the problem. I have another one laying around might as well try it...nothing to lose lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts